new electrics need sleeving

I take the viewpoint that the cable is not totally encased within the cap and heat can dissipate wall side, so that it will have no de-rating effects of capacity of cable. Ref C states "flat and touching" The cable is flat and touching the wall.
Fair enough - but my viewpoint (subject to review!) would be that, if the cable is loose under the capping, one cannot be sure that it is touching, let alone in good thermal contact with, the underlying wall - unless is is clipped to that wall.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I have no doubt there will be members willing to offer their views on this, and another heated debate may ensue.
Yes - your and my views/interpretations obviously differ, so it would be interesting to hear of other members' take on this issue. Anyone?

Kind Regards, John.

every plasterer i know say please dont use capping, cement does stick dries differently shrinks etc. most lay the cement up over the cables first so there is very little chance of damage, personnally i have never had a cable damaged by a plasterer (no capping used) or even if it there was a small nick in the cable i wasnt aware of, it never showed up on the test.
in my house had to put up a bracket right on the edge of the cable drop thought i would miss the cable and i did miss the cable but hit the flat of the metal capping which shook off 2ft of plaster covering the metal capping ggrrr

Sponsored Links
Does it happen? Yes!
Wired radial to sockets in kitchen. Dry lined. Plasterer then not available for 6 weeks so connected all, tested and left. Occupier turns up one day and says,"Plasterer came, so turned off power, removed sockets; plastering done. Today I (occupier) put sockets back, but trip RCD when I turn power on".
Should have said," why didn't you leave it to me you ***", but I go there, remove sockets; nothing obviously damaged, test circuits and nothing appears to be wrong. Look very carefully. Damage is a cut in both L & N but hard to see when pulled out to check and test. When pushed back, the cut opens so the core is exposed and touches the metal box.
Well done occupier for leaving cables outside box and plasterer for trying to plaster through.

From time to time, I have noticed plasterers have damaged the sheath on cables coiled up in boxes which have been first fixed.

Sometimes this damage has been known to have cut into the insulation as well.

With this in mind it only seems sensible to use capping or conduit.

If you have ever had to repair or replace a damaged cable buried in a wall that hasn't been put in conduit or capping you will appreciate how useful it can be.

Somehow capping or conduit on walls that are dot and dabbed (plasterboard) doesn't seem as important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back