New ensuite vent options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live on the 5th floor of a block of flats and want to fit an ensuite to the main bedroom. I do have an outside wall but drilling to the outside will be really difficult because of the height and getting permission from the block management / scaffolding etc.
The bathroom in the flat below (which I have access to) has an extractor fan right under where I want to put the ensuite. I can see the galvanised vent trunking in the void below my floor (see pics).

Fan in the flat below.

Trunking visible from above.

Can anyone please comment on the feasibility of installing a wall mounted extractor upstairs and then run trunking down behind the stud work to join into the existing trunking under the floor between the downstairs fan and the outside wall (about 30cm beyond the fan)?

The fan has a non return flap but I want to make sure I don't put my ensuite water vapour into the downstairs bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, that does look like a good bit of kit.
Looking on the negative side of this though, I will still need block management permission for the hole. :(
Could anyone comment on feasibility of the original proposal to join into the existing please?

Sponsored Links
I would be very wary of trying to connect into the downstairs ducting, always going to be a risk of condensation, which could result in water dripping from the downstairs fan when your fan is in use. Fit an independent setup for your flat and avoid any conflict.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back