New extension and Part-P certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am at a bit of pickle which I was hoping someone could help ....

I did an extension to my house ( Dormer Conversion).
I used to work as an electrician but no longer do. have got my 17th edition and a competent electrician and ...

I explained to the building inspector that i will be carrying out all the eletrical work as I am a COMPETENT person but I can't self certify my work as I am no longer member of any eletrical bodies.

once the work is complete, I will get a registered company to do an EICR report and send to them, which he confirmed would be ok.

However, now they are saying EICR is not good enough as it is purely a test of the condition and not the actual sign off of the work! so they want a Part-P cert!

Any thoughts on what to do ? Why are they not accepting EICR as the proof that the work is good?

Sponsored Links
You don't need to be Part P registered, and if you can issue an installation and test certificate under BS7671 then that should do.

Unless things have changed, no-one can issue a Part P cert if they did not do the install.

As you are qualified, the council should be able to accept your proof of qualification, but they may insist in their own approved person checking the work by taking off one or two sockets or fittings and charging you for the privilege

It is not council who are doing the inspection, it is a private firm and he says he can only accept a Part-P certificate . :(

Sponsored Links
I suspect he is wrong, and you should tell him or whoever manages the firm

i have an electrician coming around who is NAPIT registered and can do Part-P cert.

He said he will have to do full inspection but happy to provide Part-P if he is happy with the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back