New Extension - Move Manhole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm at the embryonic stages of getting a new extension. I've had a quote from an architect for £605 to do the drawings for building regs. We are going to obtain a "Certificate of Lawful Development".

One of the major issues for me as a layman is the the fact that there is a manhole cover in the area where the foundations will need to be built. I've spoken to Thames Water, and they tell me it is not theirs, so I'm assuming it's therefore mine, and as such I am within my right to relocate it.

I'm unsure of the law concerning building over it (although some have said this can be done) but I would much prefer to move it.

My questions are:

1. Am I right to assume I own the drain?
2. Do I need building control to sign off the work?
3. Do I need to get a structural engineer involved in the re-siting?
4. How much do you think it might cost?

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert but your architect should be handling this stuff.

Even if you are just paying him for drawings then he still needs to figure out himself if it needs re-locating or not as that surely needs descrbing in the reg drawings. He should have the skills and resources to make calls like that....IMHO.

I have no confidence in architects..maybe unfair but thats my experiance of the three I've worked with. No concept of customer service and drawing things that can't be built....lovely.

Check everything they tell you and the draft drawings against the knowledge of a good builder, if you can get a friendly one on-side.

Even get the building reg drawings checked if you can. I have seen self certified drawings lead to steel work being condemmed by the council for being completely wrong..how much of a disaster is that??

Sorry to be negative, but I now work to the ABC rule.

Accept nothing
Believe no one
Check everything.

Good luck! S.

I had to do this for my extension as the M/H was smack in the middle of where the footings needed to be! I did it myself using a pre-fab plastic manhole. A structural engineer isn't needed but follow the fitting instructions & the BCO will be happy. The strip foundations will need to invert of the pipes & the brickwork above support by RC lintels, leaving a gap of 50mm round the pipes. This opening will need to be screened to prevent ingress of backfill & vermin, I used 6mm thick HDPE sheet because I happened to have some lying around.

At that level of fee, I would surmise that is actually a plan drawer, rather than a chartered architect. Peanuts and monkeys; plan drawers will usually only do plans to get planning and BRegs approval, they are not working drawings and that is when the site problems tend to arise.

Yes, if it's a private drain, you can shift it wherever you want, providing that the falls remain correct.

Sponsored Links
My questions are:

1. Am I right to assume I own the drain?
2. Do I need building control to sign off the work?
3. Do I need to get a structural engineer involved in the re-siting?
4. How much do you think it might cost?

1. yes.
2. yes.
3. no, but you do need knowledge, the right tools and a knowledge of drain fittings available.
4. it will depend on drain depth, complexity of pipe layout and location.

you can locate an i.c. internally but you will need a secure recessed air tight lid. it is better to re-locate where feasible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back