New extension roof

is it possible to make the soffits match by changing the gauge on the slates?
No - that makes no difference.

Hard to describe without diagrams, but think about the geometry.

If all the rafter feet project the same distance from the outer wall faces, then because they are at different slopes on different sides, the feet on one side will end up at a different level than the feet on the adjacent side.

Sponsored Links
not too sure if the ridge is a big planning issue i think im going to ring the bloke who submited the plans and see what he has to say? although i think all responsibility lies with me when i looked over them and give him the ok to submit them?

off topic slightly, but does anyone think the people who submitted the plans have any responsibity for this error or is it all down to me?
they were paid to draw and submitt the plans for me as an agent.
thanks .

The drawings are just plain wrong in several ways, and whoever did them has not got a clue how to design or how to draw - does he do refunds?

As the front extension is not projecting too much, then it is possible to keep all the roof planes in line and just have a small leaded flat roof section to the front. This is the gist, but I don't think it will be this much

If you can keep the ridge level with the main house then you might be able to just jig the front slope slightly. But Its hard to picture how it will work where the three planes meet right at the top of the front gable. From this view, it wont be too bad, and the tiles can be jigged or a bit of lead used

Sponsored Links
Not to stick up for Architects too much, but i'm aware that in these austere times people seem to be paying them to do as little work as possible to keep fees down.

The thing is Architects don't seem to be giving a fair explanation of this to the customers when they do reduce their input. i.e - Planning Drawings which get you permission are totally different to full working Building Reg compliant drawings as you are finding out.

As others have mentioned the drawings you have shown are particularly basic, and I would imagine relatively cheap to procure.

If you commissioned him to get you planning permission, then he has done his bit, if you have paid for working drawings then he needs to supply all the relevant information, including for the roof.....

Anyhow, you are in good company with Tony and Woody, so good luck.

Not to stick up for Architects too much, but i'm aware that in these austere times people seem to be paying them to do as little work as possible to keep fees down.

The thing is Architects don't seem to be giving a fair explanation of this to the customers when they do reduce their input. i.e - Planning Drawings which get you permission are totally different to full working Building Reg compliant drawings as you are finding out.

As others have mentioned the drawings you have shown are particularly basic, and I would imagine relatively cheap to procure.

If you commissioned him to get you planning permission, then he has done his bit, if you have paid for working drawings then he needs to supply all the relevant information, including for the roof.....

Anyhow, you are in good company with Tony and Woody, so good luck.
Hi mate i understand what your saying but i paid £600 plus planning fees plus £300 structural plans for the retaining part of the structure, i no its not massive but its enough i thought?

People on here may argue differently, but I would say that sounds low. Taking the SE fees and LA fees out you only paid him £600.00. Even for planning drawings and building regs drawings we are charging more like £1,500 + Fees for standard builds.

The SE fee's indicate that he may have done a little more than just planning drawings though, so you may have a case.

The drawings are just plain wrong in several ways, and whoever did them has not got a clue how to design or how to draw - does he do refunds?

As the front extension is not projecting too much, then it is possible to keep all the roof planes in line and just have a small leaded flat roof section to the front. This is the gist, but I don't think it will be this much

If you can keep the ridge level with the main house then you might be able to just jig the front slope slightly. But Its hard to picture how it will work where the three planes meet right at the top of the front gable. From this view, it wont be too bad, and the tiles can be jigged or a bit of lead used

Thanks for putting your time and effort in to my question woody (and all other replys also a great help)it is very much appriciated i wish id spotted this earlier.
However i think what you say about running from highets point of the ridge may give me the best chance of geting this to look 'right' im gonna have a exact measure in the morning and see what exactly the measurements are,
then i will ring the planning dept and ask what i need to do to change the ridge height of the extension if it can be done.
thanks again.

It is cut throat, with lots of clueless plan-drawers cutting fees and competing with proper designers, and the clients are non the wiser as to what to expect. Clients expect someone to draw plans which get the council permission and then a builder uses them to build. That is a fair expectation.

Yes, they will not realise that poor design and poor drawings will bump up the build costs later on, but it's fair to say that clients should do their research and ask the right questions - and not just decide on price alone

However in this case, the drawings are just wrong, and I don't think that that can be put down to costs. It's more to do with competency.

The designer should first and foremost produce an accurate design which can actually be built. So while the plans for the planning stage may well not include a lot of detail, the outline should be accurate .... ie the ridge in the right place!

It's amazing how little work architects often do with regard to actually drawing plans that can be used to build from.

I got some plans the other day for a million pound plus house in south west London.
A late revision meant a complete redesign of the roof...although they hadn't actually bothered to draw a roof plan at all :rolleyes:
And the front elevation was wrong.
In order that I could design a structure that worked I had to also create a roof plan for them :eek:

Woody's drawing with a flat portion on the one side seems like a good option, but I've got an alternative:

Would it be possible to have a flat portion at the top of the roof rather than the bottom. This is similar to the property I mentioned above and would give a nice symmetrical appearance :idea:

I thought about a flat top slice, but it would need the most structural works and be the most technically challenging to build correctly and detail. It would probably be a last resort.

Tried to get in touch with fella who did plans but no joy, just straight to ans machine.
Anyhow ive had a measure and the with of existing inside wallplat to wallplate is 5200 and the extension is 5500 so got 300 to find, do you think the best option is to have the hip asymetrical with the longer side to front and try to mess with the small area at the top which is approx 500 to 550 withpout actuall measuring it?
thanks again for help.

I'm wondering if it's possible to put a parapet instead of a small flat roof? Eyesore?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back