New external door and possible small claims court action

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new external door fitted into the brickwork by knocking through with a new lintel fitted. I was charged £600 for the work
However i was very disapointed with the quality of the work as the existing brickwork was just cut using a power saw. The door frame was inserted on the outer edge of the brick no doubt to cover up the cut bricks. The frame was not even set square as parts of the frame was proud of the brick work.
Then as the sealing agent, a thin bead of mortar was inserted this would not have prevented water ingress and would fail with frost etc. Should the builder have toothed out the brickwork and set the fame into the brickwork.
I am looking at the possible action via small claims court, any comments

Sponsored Links
Can you put a photo of the job on? That method with a saw is quite commonly used.

Cutting is acceptable, depending on the brick - ie you don't want to be seeing the holes in the middle of any cut bricks

It can be argued that cutting bricks is a better job and less intrusive, than toothing in new or old bricks

If you are going to make any claims, then you need to be sure of what standards the work contravenes ... and also what standards if any, your contract specified in the first place. In which case an expert report would be very useful

We would, but would have priced it as such and worded it in the estimate.

We would have also advised that toothing out would be a lot more expensive and that costs would be determined by the strength or type or bricks and mortar.

£600 is ridiculous. You should have smelled a rat and said no thanks to that price as it is bonkers cheap.

Sponsored Links
Whenever I've toothed out to put in a frame I've had to cut the brickwork back a fair bit to get it to run to the frame properly. Might be a bit more work, but looks better than a load of closers stuck up against the frame.

Sorry no photos as I paid £255 to another contractor to correct the the job i.e. tooth out bricks and set frame into brickwork with a proper mastic seal.

From the replies it looks like this is a lost cause but surly i should have expected a proper workman like job in the first place.

Just one more point I did not specify the job just expected a good job

Yes I did give the builder a chance to correct as i wrote to him with all the faults, but he will not admit he is at fault

Yes I did give the builder a chance to correct as i wrote to him with all the faults, but he will not admit he is at fault

Might be a bit more work, but looks better than a load of closers stuck up against the frame.
Correct!

You know when a novice has been hacking at brickwork when you see 2" clodgers at window and door jambs.

For the uninitiated, you would always fit a half brick to the jamb then deal with any cuts further in the bond.

The harsh view is that you got a £600 job and if you wanted a £1000 job that's what you should have ordered. On the other hand your buiider isn't really a builder. At best he's a handyman that took on a job slightly above what he's capable of. But really he's a chancer. Or a cowboy. Maybe call Dom the cowboy chaser. You might get Melinda round to scrounge you a new front door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back