new external drain all blocked up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We had building work done about 4 months ago and whilst our patio gets renovated i noticed the drain looked full. I put my hand in and found full of waste from our sink waste disposal.
IMG_20181125_150916.jpg
I queried the fact that the drain goes down and then back up hill with the builders who said it was fine, but i`m trying to work out how waste from our drainage will defy gravity to go uphill and washed away down the main drainage pipe.

Also a downpipe from the roof just is left suspended above it.

Any ideas how to rectify this, apart from getting them back round to deal with it. I want to know what it should be like if its been done properly.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a back inlet gully or a trap and has to have a water trap to hold down gasses + sediment collects in the bottom, just get yer marrigold hand in there and scoop it out .

Thanks, thats exactly what I had to do. Is this going to be an ongoing problem? or could it be just some leaves got in there aswell and blocked it all up.

Sponsored Links
You will need to make it easy to remove by not trapping it tightly with the pipes , traps being discharged into from kitchen sinks get clogged with fat and the like..well ours does anyway :)

Hi All

We had building work done about 4 months ago and whilst our patio gets renovated i noticed the drain looked full. I put my hand in and found full of waste from our sink waste disposal.

I queried the fact that the drain goes down and then back up hill with the builders who said it was fine, but i`m trying to work out how waste from our drainage will defy gravity to go uphill and washed away down the main drainage pipe.

Also a downpipe from the roof just is left suspended above it.

Any ideas how to rectify this, apart from getting them back round to deal with it. I want to know what it should be like if its been done properly.

thanks
Don't get them back. You have 3 choices - 1 go with the suggestions of a gulley, and resign yourself to cleaning the silt out forever. 2 get rid of the waste grinder and live with a reasonably clean gulley. 3 convert the gulley/trap to a stub stack (no trap) and deal with the rainwater (maybe to a soakaway or through a trap if you have a combined system)

Has the building work been signed off?
That's drain's a bodge job...back filled with rubble, missing gully etc.
Get Building Control back...it should be the builders fixing it.

No hasnt been signed off yet, they were waiting for the patio to get completed before finishing. but that was about 4 months ago and its been left like that. Now the patio is getting done i`ve asked them back to finish it properly. But I can see that I may be cleaning out this drain regularly with the waste disposal unit.

When we had a similar drain, our waste disposal output was always clogging it up. We got rid of the waste disposal and problem solved.

Debris from a waste disposal unit shouldn't be washed down the drain anyway, as you have found out, it soon causes problems. If the Council offer a food waste collection service, please use that. Only things that should be put down the toilet are pee, poo and paper, likewise gulley's are for dirty water only. Fat and food scraps only serve to block things up.

And that's the problem. So, if you fit one of these waste disposal units, you run the risk of having a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back