New extractor fan makes a racket when its windy, can it be quietened?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a loft conversion with a new ensuite. It has a manrose extractor fan in there which seems to work fine, but which makes a racket when it is windy, loud enough to wake me up despite the bathroom door being shut. Is this normal?? I can't believe it is. What can I do to quieten it down? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes it vents outside, not sure what is clattering unfortunately, it was installed by the loft conversion team and I don't really know what if any external bits were put in place. I know that it was letting rain in initially so the contractor came back and fixed a grille on the outside. But it doesn't seem to keep the wind out. Tried to attach a short video to see if that clarifies the issue but it wouldn't work so have popped it on youtube if anyone fancies taking a look!

Sponsored Links
The rattling is coming from the plastic louvre flaps being blown in the wind...it’s very common.
A heavier, stainless louvre may help - Toolstation do them - but if all else fails you can get fans with integral back shutters that open electrically when switched on.
The former ‘fix’ may depend on access outside, but the other fan can be done from from the inside.
John :)

I once put thins strips of foam along the edge of each flap to the one in our en-suite. It doesn't stop them flapping but it certainly reduced the noise to a level that you could just hear it in the bathroom but not in the bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back