New extractor hood - No earth, can I put a plug on it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an unused built in extractor that was given to me gratis. However there are no instructions present in the box and at the end of the flex there is currently no plug.

So I was wondering, assuming the appliance was double earthed is there any reason why I cant attach a 13A rated plug with a 3A fuse.

I know I could get a spark to wire it into a FCU spur with a 3A fuse, if this isn't allowed for any reason.

I'd prefer the plug option as there is already a single socket spur up there where the old extractor was.

Thx again

Sponsored Links
Should be fine to use with a plug. Are there any markings on it to confirm it is double insulated?

The last hood I saw had no earth and was plugged in.

Sponsored Links
yep thanks, got all that, just that I havent been able to check the extractor yet as I dont have it here. I just know that it only has blue and brown, no earth and wondered if it was still ok to wire it to a plug despite not having an Earth wire.

I hope it is double insulated because if not I suspect I'd have to either find a way to Earth it correctly and change the flex or simply discard it and buy a different extractor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back