New fabric covered wiring

Bit of a faff, though. Since it would have to be disconnected at least at one end, why not just replace it?
Yes, but replace it with what? The OP is already planning to replace the cable, and my comment was in response to his comment that he cannot find brown T+E (which hardly surprises me!). If he wants brown, his choice (in terms of material which a DIYer can handle) probably comes down to painted or sleeved T+E, or some sort of flex (which, as has been discussed, is not very 'nice' for fixed wiring, even if allowed).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
'Old wood' is readily available, and often cheap (I've used plenty of it in my daughter's centuries-old cottage!), but I can understand you not wanting the hassle of the work.

Kind Regards, John

Do you have any good suppliers for 'old wood' (My house 'first appeared on a map' around 1640)? There are loads of things I'd like to do in my house, if I can find a good supplier (don't want to get too far off topic though.... :) ).

Thanks for all the ideas. I think that the brown fabric flex is the way I'm going to go. It's not that expensive, and will be cheaper/less time consuming than making something to cover it or painting new grey cable.

Thanks

Do you have any good suppliers for 'old wood' (My house 'first appeared on a map' around 1640)? There are loads of things I'd like to do in my house, if I can find a good supplier (don't want to get too far off topic though.... :) ).
'Reclamation yards', 'Architectural Salvage' etc. There are plenty around in my area, and even those which are essentially just 'junk yards' often have some gems hidden away in dusty/damp piles, which they often regard as 'worthless junk'! You obviously need to be very selective (which can be time consuming), and prepared/able to do a fair bit of work on the materials. Beware that places which style themselves as 'up-market architectural salvage dealers' (particularly in/around London) can be pretty/very (often unreasonably, IMO) expensive.

Is the house listed? If so, the PTB may well have things to say about materials!

Kind Regards, John

I have a vision that the beams will be near black after 400 odd years, why not use a simple black flex cable?

Sponsored Links
If you want some brown fabric covered flex let me know. I have a drum which I had for another job, and mine will be cheaper than those other sites! ;)

If you want some brown fabric covered flex let me know. I have a drum which I had for another job, and mine will be cheaper than those other sites! ;)

Thanks for the offer to sell the flex.

I need 10m. Is it twisted, or round? It's two conductors and earth, right?

I tried 'start a conversation' so we could work out the details privately but the site said I wasn't allowed to do that.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back