New fabric covered wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to replace some old, white, Twin & Earth Cable (black and red) which supplies two ceiling lights in my living room.

The house is old, with exposed wooden beams and the existing wiring is just run along/over the beams. I've found this 'fabric covered' cable:

http://www.urbancottageindustries.c...x/dark-brown-fabric-lighting-flex-cable-round

Which would match the colour of the beams, and not stand out as much. Is this type of wire suitable for a lighting circuit?

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Thanks - looks good.

Is this cable suitable for my use case? Running from the switch, along the ceiling to the rose, and then on to the other rose?

Yea it's fine to use, as long as you get the three core and continue the earth from the switch through to the end light.

How are you going to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Seems to me that a chap could make these himself, very easily.

reclaimed_oak_cable_tidy.jpg

Sure could... but they're a little OTT for me, and I'm a little short of time right now though, so cable clips are probably the way I'll go. :)

The plan is to try and hide the wiring as much as possible, so brown wire and brown clips will do fine. I'd use standard cable if it came in brown.... but I can't find it anywhere.

It does, but someone's already tried to colour the existing white cable with brown paint/stain/something... it looks terrible.

It's easier and quicker to just buy brown cable, no?

I should also mention that I'm moving the light fixture, which requires me to re-run the cable anyway, I'm not just doing this to fix the cable colour, that will be a nice side effect. :)

The plan is to try and hide the wiring as much as possible, so brown wire and brown clips will do fine. I'd use standard cable if it came in brown.... but I can't find it anywhere.
How long is the visible length of cable? If it's not too long, then brown heat-shrink sleeving might be an option.

Kind Regards, John

Those bits of wood Ban has shown make me think about getting a long length of batten wood, and cutting a groove along one side and fixing to the beam. Then wood dye/stain to match.

How possible is it to gain access above the ceiling? That may be the easiest and cheapest solution.

How long is the visible length of cable? If it's not too long, then brown heat-shrink sleeving might be an option.

Kind Regards, John

Good idea, thanks. It's about 5m long.

Those bits of wood Ban has shown make me think about getting a long length of batten wood, and cutting a groove along one side and fixing to the beam. Then wood dye/stain to match.

How possible is it to gain access above the ceiling? That may be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Cutting/grooving/fixing batten is more work than I'm willing to put in right now, I also think it would look a little strange, modern wood fixed to the old beams.

Access above the ceiling is not really possible, but I don't think it would help anyway, the ceiling beams are the joists for the floor above, so there's no way to get the cable through without drilling, and I don't want to drill holes through them, or the boards above.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Good idea, thanks. It's about 5m long.
You can get heat-shrink in almost any length you want (and it wouldn't necessarily have to be one continuous length, anyway), and I've certainly been known to do it to cables longer than 5m (again for aesthetic reasons).

Kind Regards, John

Cutting/grooving/fixing batten is more work than I'm willing to put in right now, I also think it would look a little strange, modern wood fixed to the old beams.
'Old wood' is readily available, and often cheap (I've used plenty of it in my daughter's centuries-old cottage!), but I can understand you not wanting the hassle of the work.

Kind Regards, John

Bit of a faff, though.

Since it would have to be disconnected at least at one end, why not just replace it?

Or find an electrician who can do pyro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back