New felt flat roof - wrinkles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have a flat roof shared with the neighbour (semi detached). The whole roof was covered in felt at the time of installation decades ago and I wanted our side replaced (neighbour not interested in spending money replacing hers). The roofers (who did a great job on our tiled roof and have an excellent reputation) did our side over 2 days. They primed the wood, laid underlay, tar layer stuff and then felt. They used the blowtorch etc. and also installed flashing. All looked fantastic. However, 2 days later I had a look and there are slight wrinkles across the roof! To the touch, it's solid - no bubbles. Some times of the day its barely noticeable but other times (early morning) or after a hose down, it's very noticeable. The roofers are speaking with the manufacturer as they have never seen this happen before and are using premium materials (I checked). There was no rain when it was installed, but it was hot - around 26C. I've hosed it down and so far no leaks. But I cannot find anything online that would indicate the cause and they're stumped too.

Any ideas? I've seen the roofs they've done (hundreds) for other customers and they're great. The work is very neat as well. They're not fly-by-night cowboys, but a professional outfit. Is the issue the weather at the time, or the materials or the installation?

Photos 1-3 are early morning and 4-5 are late afternoon after a brief hosing down to test water resistance.

Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • roof3.jpg
    roof3.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 91
  • roof4.jpg
    roof4.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 91
  • roof5.jpg
    roof5.jpg
    634.7 KB · Views: 102
Sponsored Links
Any ideas?
I can only think that if the felt was laid when the roof/building was hot, subsequent cooling and contraction of the building would generate wrinkles if the felt didn't contract by the same amount.

That would make sense - the question then is, is this likely to pose a problem over the next 10-15 years or can it be ignored? The aerial photos make the wrinkles look much bigger than they are. When I'm kneeling on the roof, I can barely see them.

Sponsored Links
Actually - could it be caused by the massive overlap of each row? When wet, you can see like they overlap each other in the middle of each sheet, instead of at the edges..

Attachments

• roof6.jpg
    roof6.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 66

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back