'Fold,' in felt of flat roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
275310237_939468146933171_344229843082072223_n.jpg

Hello all,

This morning I noticed a few 'folds,' in the felt of my flat roof. Roof was installed last winter. It seems to be full of air, and goes down slightly when pressed.

Anything to be concerned about?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The "air" is probably gas from moisture trapped below the surface.
How did the moisture get there - its a new roof so it seems like it was built-in unless the surface cover material is improperly fixed?

Its not a good start for a flat roof but do some research on here and google, and come to your own conclusions about whats to be done or should it be left alone?

The "air" is probably gas from moisture trapped below the surface.
How did the moisture get there - its a new roof so it seems like it was built-in unless the surface cover material is improperly fixed?

Its not a good start for a flat roof but do some research on here and google, and come to your own conclusions about whats to be done or should it be left alone?

I'm not sure to be honest. If it doesn't get worse and doesn't contribute towards a problem down the line, then I'd leave it.

Though some expansion/contraction is going to happen, its not great when the roof is less than six months old!

Fair enough.
But as a precaution, why not scope over the roof surface, the fascia, gutter, edgings and flashings to see that all's well?
Any doubts then come back here.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to be concerned about.

It's actually a bit of de-bonded bitumen, not moisture. Heat has just expanded the air a little, stretched the felt a little, and now its like that for life.

That bitumen felt is quite flexible and resilient.

Nothing to be concerned about.

It's actually a bit of de-bonded bitumen, not moisture. Heat has just expanded the air a little, stretched the felt a little, and now its like that for life.

That bitumen felt is quite flexible and resilient.

Thanks, probably what the roofer will say. So doesn't weaken roof in any way?

Same company did a neighbors roof, there's looks fine.

No, and it looks like a vey small area too.

It happens, its very minor quality issue, not any significant detriment to performance.

No, and it looks like a vey small area too.

It happens, its very minor quality issue, not any significant detriment to performance.

Thanks. There's actually a few more areas front roof and back.

But if it doesn't affect performance, I'm not too bothered.

Why not post a pic or pics of the whole roof - annotate if possible where the "folds" are?

Either not enough heat when when applied ( favourite ) considering the time of year it was installed! or moisture is getting in! only a problem if its the latter.

Why not post a pic or pics of the whole roof - annotate if possible where the "folds" are?

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the lateness of mine. Had a bit of a health issue.

I've attached a picture of the front part of the roof, this is the part where there are the most number of the small folds. The rest of the roof seems ok

This was the last part of the roof done, at the end of the day.

Everything about both the front and rear flatroofs seems ok, just these 'folds.'
276178278_645630476505040_9069752451097765830_n.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back