New flat roof level and holding water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a new flat roof on our extension, approx 3m X 6m

When it rains it takes about 5 or 6 hours for one half to drain away, does this sound right for a new roof?

I went up with a spirit level and where the water sits it is perfectly level, I've taken a picture of the level in the middle of a straight 2.4m length of wood running towards the guttering, as you can see it reads level! I've read it should be 1:40 or 1:80, what would that look like in a level?

All advice appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 369
Sponsored Links
The level is running along the roof towards the guttering? The top of picture is towards the wall and the bottom towards the guttering if the makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Short answer is that yes, it should drain and not pond.

It depends on what you actually asked for and paid for, for this "new roof".

Also relevant is how much is actual ponding, or if it is mainly just damp residue.

Thanks woody, the builders were commissioned to built the single storey extension with a flat roof, the water puddles on that half for about 5 hours, the other side drains within an hour?

Sorry, to add, this a new flat roof built by the builders as part of the extension, less than weeks ago

Oh well, for new work it should be better. The standard would be for it to be free draining with no ponding. And there was no reason why this could not be achieved with new work. It's a quality issue alright.

Depending on severity, it might not be worth requiring it to be redone, rather negotiate a cost reduction based on the fact that the roof's life is now reduced. And it won't get any better. But if the builders won't mind redoing it, then go for that - it would certainly be within your rights, and the contract if you pushed it.

Thanks woody, I expected a new roof to be free draining. Do building control not check the slope is adequate? It hasn't been signed off yet by building control, should I push them to highlight it?

No, building control wont be interested. All they will be bothered with is that its weathertight, has enough insulation, has ventilation if needed, and if the covering is suitable in terms of fire spread if near to boundaries. Thats it, they are not quality inspectors.

Ideally it should be pitched at 1:80 minimum, but you say it is eventually running away. The Germans build their flat roofs flat and allow water to pool on them. your main problem will be a rapid build up of unsightly algae.
As woody says there is no reason why they shouldn't have put an adequate fall on a new roof though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back