New Floodlight with Switch in the Garage

I'll be sure to check the capacity before proceeding but interesting point on the floodlight wattage. I've recently fitted a floodlight at the back of the house and that's 500w! Think I may need to tone it down a tad if it needs to be 150 or less!
Yes it might be wise - otherwise it encourages the neighbours to get the air gun out :evil:

Sponsored Links
500watts is enough for the Olympic stadium. It also half the energy used by an electric bar fire so i hope you have deep pockets for the lecky bills.

PS spare a thought for the polar bears on the melting ice caps too!

Sorry folks, little confused now. I've run all of my wires and have done as instructed but I seem to be getting 1 of the 2 gangs controlling both lights. I'm fairly sure I followed the instructions correctly but in case I haven't here is a pic.

I've basically taken the L1 (com) from the previous switch and put in L1 in the new one. Then I've taken the two 2 other wires in the previous switch from L2 and put in the L2 in the new switch on the same side as the other L1. I've then created a bridge between the two L1s and connected my new wire to the new light to L2.

The new blue and earth were connected to the exiting blocks.

Where am I going wrong?!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the new cable, put the old wires back where they were. Fit the new live to L1 on the second gang then link from Com on the first gang to Com on the second gang. If that does not work check if L1 on the first gang is the incoming live and link to there.

Thanks for the reply but once I took a minute and thought it out I managed to realise my lives were somehow mixed up. Kinda helps when you look at the inner gubbings and understand how the switch actually works rather than just being lazy and asking the experts!

Oh, and yes, I addressed the earth sleeve disaster. ;)

140 is what I have been informed, but cannot finds the link Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Newlec do the smaller fittings

Kirkcaldy Branch
Katherine Street
Kirkcaldy
Fife
KY2 5LJ

01592 200111

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back