New froststat clicking/lighting up but no response from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I switched my old Honeywell froststat (it had a broken mount and was firing up boiler) to the cheap Greenbrook TH90F. This is clicking and lighting up when i turn the temp gauge up, (currently 13 degrees C), but no response from boiler. Frost thermostat terminals are wired as instructions (live to t1, neutral to t4). Boiler is older Ideal Baxi.

So, why no boiler response I am wondering? (Does boiler only respond itself if temp drops further??) There are no other wires from froststat.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20231104_144944669[1].jpg
    IMG_20231104_144944669[1].jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
The old Honeywell was wired in this way too, there is only a permanent live and neutral wire to froststat. A separate switched live goes to boiler from the bolier switch. Greenbrook diagram atached.

Attachments

• P1300441.JPG
    P1300441.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
there was no earth connection to older (or new) froststat.

there is only a permanent live and neutral wire to froststat
Impossible.

The thermostat connects two wires together when heat is required.
If they were live and neutral, the result would be a big bang the first time the thermostat was used. Fuses would blow, things would be destroyed, nothing would work ever again.

The old Honeywell was wired in this way too, there is only a permanent live and neutral wire to froststat.
No, if your existing stat had only two wires, you have a live and a switched live.

Instead of using terminals one and four, you need to use one and three.

The way you have it connected, the return to the boiler is acting as a 'false' neutral, allowing the illumination of the indicator on the stat.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
it is a blue and brown wire. I don't understand this comment. The instructions refer to wiring the neutral to term 4. Should I try the permanent live into teminal 3 of the stat?

Attachments

• P1300442.JPG
    P1300442.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 50
  • P1300443.JPG
    P1300443.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 37
it is a blue and brown wire. I don't understand this comment.
Just because the wire is blue, doesn’t make it a neutral wire. Although, manufacturers don’t help by stating it connects to neutral.

Last edited:
ok so you are saying the blue is the permanent live? Please be clear if possible. See instructions on the neutral to term 4...

Attachments

• P1300444.JPG
    P1300444.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 36
here is the old honeywell, brown was in t 1 (top right), blue t 5. Does this help to solve?

Attachments

• P1300445.JPG
    P1300445.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back