New fuseboard in shed.

but that would be a different situation. I was talking about the situation (possibly like the OP's) in which the circuit was not 'alright' when installed (incapable to supply power to a load), despite satisfactory results from all the standard tests.
I have said I would use a load but if that was not done then it was either an oversight or poor workmanship.

I don't know what you want me to say.

You know the answers.

Sponsored Links
I have said I would use a load but if that was not done then it was either an oversight or poor workmanship. I don't know what you want me to say. You know the answers.
If you're saying that you always apply a ('real') load to a circuit, after completing your 'standard tests', then that's all I 'want you to say', since it's sensible, and what one would expect of a professional. (it wasn't totally clear to me that this was what you were saying).

However, how common do you think it actually is for (other) electricians to do that, given that there is nowhere on their bit of paper to record the result of a functional test?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
However, how common do you think it actually is for (other) electricians to do that, given that there is nowhere on their bit of paper to record the result of a functional test?
I think it probably very common.

If wiring, say, an immersion I cannot imagine anyone not switching it on to hear it working or a boiler to see it works.

A socket circuit may be limited to what was already there - kettle :) or electric fire.

I think it probably very common. If wiring, say, an immersion I cannot imagine anyone not switching it on to hear it working or a boiler to see it works. A socket circuit may be limited to what was already there - kettle :) or electric fire.
I would obviously hope that its not just 'very common' but 'universal', but I'm not sure I'm convinced it necessary is. I was, by the way, really just thinking of sockets circuits.

Kind Regards, John

Hi folks, sorry about the low input from me, but i bring you all amusement, yes the circuit breaker was an MCB not a RCBO or any other breaking device, to my surprise when i lifted the lid of the house C/U i found the cable crudely shoved threw a gouged hole in the back of the C/u , With the SWA Armour digging into the service cable itself :eek: , and none of the SWA Marked up with sleeve to determine the what cable was what. Line was Brown fed into --> MCB <-- :D Grey Used as CPC , black used a neutral. At this point, i lifted the lid in the mini consumer unit in the shed to find Black used as CPC and Grey as neutral, so a N+E reverse.

I',m not happy with the installation one bit, so ive ripped out the SWA and the twin and earth in the shed. Im going to tackle this myself now, replacing the MCB in the house with an RCBO and Removing the CU in the shed and connecting the sockets directly in the house to an RCBO

Thanks for all your help guys.

... none of the SWA Marked up with sleeve to determine the what cable was what. Line was Brown fed into --> MCB <-- :D Grey Used as CPC , black used a neutral. At this point, i lifted the lid in the mini consumer unit in the shed to find Black used as CPC and Grey as neutral, so a N+E reverse. ...
That's obviously a total ***-up - but an N-E reversal, alone, would not explain what you were experiencing. It would certainly cause any involved RCD/RCBO to trip when a load was applied, but not an MCB.

Kind Regards, John

I thought the same thing? Wonder how the MCB managed to detect a Neutral CPC reverse?

I thought the same thing? Wonder how the MCB managed to detect a Neutral CPC reverse?
It can't - that was my point. Something else must be wrong as well.

As I've said, if the MCB is not faulty, you would need 30+ amps to go through it (to somewhere) for it to trip immediately a load is applied.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back