New Garden office or repurpose existing workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Trust everyone is well. I am trying to understand what would benefit me/us long term, so perhaps if I put my ideas down, maybe someone can help me with the choice I will need to make.

I work from home (and could chose to stay home - whether I want to in the long term is another thing entirely).

I currently use the third bedroom as an office, but we have a number 2 on the way, due 1st September.

I won't be able to work inside the home when the baby is born so looking at what options I have.

When we moved into our house 3 years ago, we inherited a 18ft x 10ft workshop (think it's 12mm ship lap t&g) and it's at the end of a 90ft+ garden. It is currently 30-40% full with an assortment of furniture/garden/bbq items etc. It needs a clean and an external treat, but inside it's dry. It's on wooden bearers sitting on top of a concrete base.

Initially, I wanted to partition it so that half was for storage, and half for an office, which would mean it needed insulation, lighting, heating, securing (would have computer/laptop etc etc).

So started to look around to see what I could do (checking forums and you tube for people have done similar)

I then spoke to my neighbour (a builder), who said, why don't you get a separate, already insulated shed/office to have next to the shed. Then you can partition the shed, and make the other half into a games room so that when the kids are older, they have another area to play in.

So then started to look at companies who provided a similar service, would look to get at most a 10 x 8 with a door and window (already double glazed, and insulated).

I then started to have yet another think, I may not always be working from home (or may not want to in the future). So, why not buy a small shed, similar size to the original office shed, and store everything in there. Then insulate the entire workshop to turn into an office then eventual games room - Depending how you look at it, it could be more expensive to retrofit to something that large, or could be cheaper because not spending a small fortune on something that is for the purpose I want, but may end up being something expensive in the future if I won't use it ...

So question is :-

1) Do I convert existing shed, which would serve me short term, but long term might not be making optimum use of the space that I have, plus If I have to move the door opening (2nd door for the shed) - could be more expensive (particularly if I require help) - Also I would need to remove everything out of the shed first to clean then gain idea of partition placement.

2) Purchase a purpose built shed for what I need - Then I can worry about the converting the shed to shed/games room in the years to come ... but would end up with an expensive "room" if I won't be using it all the time should I not be working from home anymore. With some of these sheds, there is a potential to take down if we moved (may not be practical depending on the design)

3) Buy a cheap shed to store everything inside, then convert the entire workshop into a fully usable large room. Granted the cost of heating (depending on the insulation I use) would be affected, but for the long term may work out better, and would need to replace existing window with double glazing.

Whichever choice I pick, I will need armoured cabling from the house and a consumer unit put in.

Am I overthinking this or am I looking for a solutions to problems that don't exist
smile.gif

Cheers,
Chris P

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back