new gas cooker uneven cooking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
chaps

we have just replaced our old smeg electric oven for a new kenwood gas one. The smeg had a fan assisted but this new one hasn't and we're finding the cooking is very uneven. The bottom of the dish/tray burns whilst the top is still undercooked. a cottage pie will come out burnt on the bottom but anaemic looking. None of the on line reviews mention this effect

What are we doing wrong??

Sponsored Links
That's unusual, our equally useless Belling model (777) tends to cook on the top and leave the bottom undercooked.

I take it your burners are spread over the floor of the oven. Ours is a single burner "rack" at the bottom-rear.

I think the problem is that today's gas ovens are produced down to a price (even expensive ones can fall into that category) and contain neither cast iron (for thermal mass) or a decent burner concept. The fan of an electric oven can overcome these short-comings but fitting a fan into a gas oven is a technical challenge.

Is there enough space for heat to circulate around the tray/dish? Gas ovens are more critical in this respect. A common cause of poor cooking for example is customers covering wire shelves in cooking foil.

there is a burner in the middle of the bottom running front to back. We are going to try taking the tray out whilst cooking next to see if that helps improve circulation.

Sponsored Links
well engineer came out and said the large oven wasn't regulating/ However he also said it wouldn't make any difference as the fixed oven won't even cook properly due to the design.

Luckily for us we could reject it so we did and now proud owners of a JL (Smeg) duel fuel

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are sorted.

Mmm got me thinking now about a nice freshly baked slice of cake, darn this diet! :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back