new GRP system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old flat roof which is felt with silver solar paint on top of the felt. The roof has cracks in it causing a slight leak in one area, so far.

A roofing company suggested a new GRP system by placing new boards on top of the existing felt then applying the GRP system.

They reckon the existing boards under the felt are knackered, for want of a better word.

Is their suggestion acceptable or not. If not then why not?

Thanks, Phil

Sponsored Links
If that's there suggestion,I would not use them especially as they have already realised that the old deck is knackered.All your doing is sealing all the damp in and rot in.

For GRP to last, the deck has to be solidly fixed- fibreglass is strong but brittle, if there's a soft spot in the deck then flexing due to wind, rain, temperature etc. will cause it to fail prematurely.

If the leak in your existing roof has been slowly building over the years you may find (when you eventually strip the felt and boards off) that the joists are rotten as well.

Plus if this bunch are just planning to board over existing its good odds their idea of weathering the roof to the wall will involve Flashband and/or silicon sealant. Avoid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, for the replies guys.

Just to be more specific, Over the past 2 years that we have been here I have repaired the roof where required with Flexacryl a couple of times.

The last time I did repairs on the roof was around March or April, but last week when these guys were inspecting the roof I noticed some cracks, one about 8mm wide which is the only place at the moment where there is a slight leak even though it absolutely poured down last night but today the floor below is bone dry. So it’s not like its pouring in everywhere.

So I think the boards have gone in just some areas, not all of them, as the roof seems solid when walking on it.

I have added photos to the album from August 2013 showing where the roof had been repaired. (not sure how you can view them)

But I guess it’s not possible or practical to GRP only part of the roof?

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back