New heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changing gravity hw system for fully pumped and going to replace the pump while doing this.

Come across the Grundfos UPS2 and UPS3, but not sure which to get. The UPS2 has a longer warranty, but the UPS3 has a bigger head of 6.5m. The pump is located on the ground floor and I have heating up to the loft rooms as well, with ceiling heights of around 2.6m on each the ground and first floor.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Changing gravity hw system for fully pumped and going to replace the pump while doing this.

Come across the Grundfos UPS2 and UPS3, but not sure which to get. The UPS2 has a longer warranty, but the UPS3 has a bigger head of 6.5m. The pump is located on the ground floor and I have heating up to the loft rooms as well, with ceiling heights of around 2.6m on each the ground and first floor.

Many thanks
The building height doesn't come into it, unless it's more than (theoretically) about 10m. The head due to height is on both the pump suction and delivery, so doesn't affect the pump differential.
I installed a UPS2 early this year, it's fine. From Anchor Pumps, Warrington £96 incl delivery. Came the following day. Screwfix wanted £137.

How high the rads are above the pump is irrelevant. The "head" is a measure of the pressure loss in the pipe work.

According to Grundfos's website both UPS2 and UPS3 have five year warranties.

The UPS3 has constant pressure, which is missing from the UPS2. Both have proportional pressure and fixed speed.

Ask your installer which he recommends

How high the rads are above the pump is irrelevant. The "head" is a measure of the pressure loss in the pipe work.

According to Grundfos's website both UPS2 and UPS3 have five year warranties.

The UPS3 has constant pressure, which is missing from the UPS2. Both have proportional pressure and fixed speed.

Ask your installer which he recommends

Thanks for clearing that up. He has suggested a UPS2 which I have ordered

Sponsored Links
UPS2 is probably a more sensible option....the impeller is larger (and runs slower) and will cope better with an old system.
Ignore these extended warrantys...unless you've filled with unicorn tears it's liklely to be voided by your system water.

UPS2 is probably a more sensible option....the impeller is larger (and runs slower) and will cope better with an old system.
Ignore these extended warrantys...unless you've filled with unicorn tears it's liklely to be voided by your system water.
Thanks

Already has a Grundfos on the system, installer suggested replacing it while converting to fully pumped

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back