New heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, quick question. Currently got a cylinder/tank/boiler system with an Ideal Classic boiler and is intermittently having problems with blockages in the system/rads not filling properly, a plumber friend of mine has back filled it a few times in the loft but problem keeps coming back.
He reckons as the boiler is now old and is G rated I would be far better off and would be more economic to have a new combi system fitted.
Quoted me today for removing old system and installing an Ideal instinct boiler for £1600.00
So what I'm asking is: this reasonable? Should I be shopping about? Or shall I just bite the bullet and get it done?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
He's not much of a friend.... Tell him to check the cold feed connection. It will be blocked.

Yes he has told me the cold feed is blocked but reckons because of where it is blocked in the cylinder cupboard the cylinder would have to come out to be able to get to it to clear the blockage.

Sponsored Links
I would love to be your friend , the bloke has seen the job and gives you a price, and you go on an internet forum asking if he is ripping you off, maybe he is a better friend to you than you are to him , anyone who quotes against someone who has actually seen the job is a comedian , he will be along in a minute telling you that is too expensive but its very reasonable if not too cheap, all depends what boiler he/she specified

Mmmm...appreciate your comments really do. But lets say for arguments sake that there isn't a way round it and I need a new system (I may even want a new boiler anyway for efficiency as my current system is 20+ years old) is the price quoted OK?

I would love to be your friend , the bloke has seen the job and gives you a price, and you go on an internet forum asking if he is ripping you off, maybe he is a better friend to you than you are to him , anyone who quotes against someone who has actually seen the job is a comedian , he will be along in a minute telling you that is too expensive but its very reasonable if not too cheap, all depends what boiler he/she specified

OK friend maybe pushing it, lets say an acquaintance. Lets get a couple of things straight before you continue to diss me. I'm not asking for a quote from someone on a forum, just an opinion thank you. And I have mentioned in my OP that I have been quoted for an Ideal instinct boiler.

If spare parts for the boiler are still available, I would stick with it. Most of your problems seem to be related to the rest of the system, not the boiler, so just get them sorted. If you replace your boiler and manage to save an optimistic £200 a year on gas, it's still going to take you 8 years to recover the cost.

Newer boilers are much more complicated because of the efficiency 'technology' and will probably not last as long as the one you have now, especially if you go down the combi route, as they are more complicated still. If you have a hot water cylinder, and the associated bits that go with them, I would be inclined to keep it that way. Combi's have their place, but often generate more problems than they solve IMHO.

If your system is as old as your boiler, there's a chance your cylinder is also one of the poorly insulated types.

So one benefit of your plumber whisking it out to fix your blockage would be that he could replace it with a modern well insulated version.

OK friend maybe pushing it, lets say an acquaintance. Lets get a couple of things straight before you continue to diss me. I'm not asking for a quote from someone on a forum, just an opinion thank you. And I have mentioned in my OP that I have been quoted for an Ideal instinct boiler.
At no time did I diss you as you call it, what I said is that anyone who contradicts an engineer who has actually seen the job is not giving you proper advice, by commenting on the price over an internet forum , if you want another quote get another company out to look at what is required and see what their quote is

Why are posts disappearing again? There was no malice in @Steelmasons post and when I went to like it it had been removed!

It was a well intentioned post to point out the ridiculousness of Internet pricing and the hidden costs that a actual business has that the customer conveniently chooses to either not see or ignore.

If a customer on here has issues with the best intentioned answers they get for free on here then I would suggest that their posts get removed/moderated etc and free the space up for people that require and will listen to genuine unbiased responses.

Mods any reply?

Jon

Edit, I also think there seems to be an axe to grind against @Steelmasons and possibly a couple of others.

Hey Jon , I doubt whether your post will be around for too long either..

Why are posts disappearing again? There was no malice in @Steelmasons post and when I went to like it it had been removed!

It was a well intentioned post to point out the ridiculousness of Internet pricing and the hidden costs that a actual business has that the customer conveniently chooses to either not see or ignore.

If a customer on here has issues with the best intentioned answers they get for free on here then I would suggest that their posts get removed/moderated etc and free the space up for people that require and will listen to genuine unbiased responses.

Mods any reply?

Jon

Edit, I also think there seems to be an axe to grind against @Steelmasons and possibly a couple of others.
Jon I think I said the same but not in such an eloquent way as you , maybe I was a bit blunt but really fed up with compare the market posts and Hive and nest posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back