New here, seeking some solid advice..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, wondering if any of you folk out there can help me..
Me and a very good pal of mine have been discussing our options regarding starting up on our own doing heating installs, plumbing, general maintenance etc.. was just looking to get some feedback from anyone who has done this themselves with a pal also, how did you generate your work? Did you set up as a limited company or sole trader partnership? Best ways to get the constant work in etc..

Would massively appreciate any reply's.. thanks a lot

rednblu

Sponsored Links
Well all in all we have both been in the gas trade for about 11 years each, myself I started off at an installation company, done nvq apprenticeship in heating and ventilation, then passed my acs then out as a fitter with apprentice..
Done that for a bit then got into doing gas meters, now i'm a fully qualified FCO at national grid, my pal is still doing installs at a company, but we have worked together over the years when doing install and have always worked great together, no recalls, no dramas ever on jobs..
So the obvious thing for us would be to start up and work together etc..

any advice very welcome

Sponsored Links
If you have your own GSR reg Nos, then get youselves into the Combustion Chamber (a 'closed' section of DIYnot.com, pronto, some real pro's on running businesses in there, as well as a wealth of install/service/repair expertise to call upon, or indeed to contribute to.

DH

Cheers for the heads up on that chaps, I dont want mooch in there and sound like an absolute noddy though..
but will look into getting on it tommorow..
many thanks

Well all in all we have both been in the gas trade for about 11 years each, myself I started off at an installation company, done nvq apprenticeship in heating and ventilation, then passed my acs then out as a fitter with apprentice..
Fair play to you - but gas fitting isn`t plumbing , you`re in London so a massive market for your gas servicing/repair skills but maybe loadsa competition ? The CC is the place to start - but if you want to do plumbing and general maint. you could do with a " tame" plumber with the Water Regs and Unvented certs. And don`t forget the leadwork ;) that and some general knowlege of roofing will be useful

Thanks for the reply fella, my pal has is a jack of all trades so we will be able to turn our hand to most bits but primarily stick to heating systems, boilers, servicing, we have both picked up plumbing experience along the way taps, toilets, drainage.. your right there is lots of competition but im hoping that once people see our workansd deal with us they will recommend to others.. thats the plan :)

Can't address the issue of partnership as I work solo but

the first two years are the most difficult. It takes time to build up a customer base and gain recommendations. So be prepared to sub or do agency work to tide you over.

Advertising your services will crucial. Don't assume that the best advertising is the most expensive. It's not. I wasted money on yellow pages on startup, now I only advertise in local magazines. Can't advise on websites as I don't have one. Local papers, church mags and the humble postcard ad in shops all have their place.

Sell on quality, not price. Being the cheapest invites you down ever-sinking spiral.

The tap washer of today is tomorrow's boiler change if you make a good impression on the customer!

Advertising, leaflet drops etc.

As for partnerships........be prepared for the possibility you'll both lose a friend.

Partnerships are notoriously hard onf friendships and tend to reveal weaknesses and vast differences in opinions.

Good luck.

Advertising your services will crucial. Don't assume that the best advertising is the most expensive. It's not. I wasted money on yellow pages on startup, now I only advertise in local magazines. Can't advise on websites as I don't have one. Local papers, church mags and the humble postcard ad in shops all have their place.

Speaking (to the OP) solely as a consumer of services, let me tell you this: if what you do isn't on the Internet, I won't know about it, particularly if someone else is. Seriously. I've had a dozen or more trades through the house recently and I had a hell of a time finding some of them... I, and everyone else I know of an age and inclination to be spending money on home improvements, "grew up" with the Internet and it's our first port of call for absolutely everything. I know some people don't like that, but it isn't going to change any time soon.

If you're already established and can get by on word-of-mouth, good for you. If you're not, knock yourself up a website and get yourself up the search engine rankings, join tradesman-finding websites and so on. I might - in fact, do - know nothing about building, but I know how I and all my friends go about finding someone who does, and it always, always starts with Google. :D

Just my two pennorth!

Sponsored Links
Back