New HF fluorescent light fitting odd behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a couple of 5ft NVC Alaska (http://www.nvcuk.com/lighting/industrial/alaska-t8) fluorescent light fittings, 2 bulbs each. I'm assuming they're HF as they don't require a separate starter.

I bought Philips TD-L Super 80 daylight bulbs for them.

Anyway, when I first turn them on the lights pulse for about a minute or two until they've warmed up fully. By pulse I mean there is a pattern of light (3cm wide) and dark (2cm wide) strips, evenly spaced, move from one side to the other side of the bulb or from the outside to the centre. The whole thing starts off slow, builds up a bit of pace as it warms up and then eventually you get a super bright steady light (pretty much turned my garage into a tanning salon).

Anybody seen this behaviour before? My new Thorn HF light doesn't do this, but it's a single 4ft standard bulb. The ones I replaced with these were the old starter ones, but you didn't get to see this lighting display. However they were very old and did the whole flashing starting, buzzing loudly and one kinda flickered while in use.

Given that I've got two units and both do this, not sure if it's just cheap fittings and the ballast isn't up to the job or is it standard behaviour for this type of bulb?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's very normal with new tubes, once the tubes have been run for a while the patterning will no longer be present and the lights will come straight on. Make sure you use the supplied metal fixing brackets with these lights or the casing falls apart and the lights fall down!

Sponsored Links
They are not bulbs, they are tubes.
Does it matter we all know what he means? It's not an electronic transformer it's a pulse width modulated power supply but lighting manufacturers still call them electronic transformers, neither is it an electronic ballast but we still call HF fluorescent lamp control gear electronic ballasts. OK it is tubular not bulbous but does it really matter?

When the manufacturers get around to using the correct terminology then I think we can reasonably expect Joe public to follow suit. But try buying a power supply for a string of LED's and although we know a current controlled power supply is called a driver it would seem the manufacturers have not a clue and still call voltage regulated supplies drivers they seem to think anything which supplies an LED is a driver be it current or voltage regulated.

In view of that I would say bulb instead of tube is rather minor.

Does it matter we all know what he means?
What about people who don't know what he means?
Would it not be better if they could read it and take the words as meaning what they say?
I am surprised, you have been on the forum long enough to question phrases like "Low Voltage" but accept phrases like "Bulb". To expect Joe Public to understand that below 50 volts is extra low voltage (with AC) and from 50 to 1000 is low voltage (AC) is reasonable. But does it really matter if it is called a bulb? There is no collective name for what replace the wick and mantel in a lamp. Both Luminaire and Lamp refer to the whole unit as does fitting. To call it a folded fluorescent tube is really a mouth full, and with LED it is a real problem as the unit contains the driver and the LED so is neither simply a LED or a fitting or lamp as in most cases they in turn fit into something else. OK you can get an LED PIR controlled Lamp, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

So what is wrong with calling the item which replaced the bulb a bulb just like we call the item which replaced the transformer an electronic transformer? Are you going to refer to LED units which replace the MR16 as MR16 replacements or simply a MR16? OK may be we should call them by the base, a GU10, G5.3, E14 or E27 but the manufactures don't they still call G5.3 12 volt units with a multifaceted reflectors 16 1/8ths of an inch across MR16. So why expect Joe Public to call a spade a shovel?

I think you have misunderstood what I meant.

I meant that the correct term should be used so that other people, who are not able to translate the errors, are able to take the words at face value.

So what is wrong with calling the item which replaced the bulb a bulb
Why not call it a tube? Simply because it is a tube and not a bulb.

just like we call the item which replaced the transformer an electronic transformer?
Yes, because it transforms electronically.

Are you going to refer to LED units which replace the MR16 as MR16 replacements or simply a MR16?
People probably will and we will be admonished for pointing out their mistake.

OK may be we should call them by the base, a GU10, G5.3, E14 or E27
We could call them LED16 - simples (if retaining imperial unit)

but the manufactures don't they still call G5.3 12 volt units with a multifaceted reflectors 16 1/8ths of an inch across MR16.
Well, they are.
If you mean LED ones then they are not MR, are they?

So why expect Joe Public to call a spade a shovel?
I don't want them to; I want them to call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel.

I honestly, honestly do not understand this acceptance of poor sloppy English on the basis of "We know what they mean".
You don't; you know what you think they mean but you may be wrong.

If I said my dog has had kittens, you will know what I mean, won't you?

Thanks for the responses:

Must admit I've never seen this moving zebra effect before, but fluorescent "tubes" :) seldom go so I've only had to purchase a couple in 20 years. I'm leaving them on for a day or two to try and get rid of it. One of the tubes was so dark when I first fitted it, I initially thought it was completely broken. After about 10 minutes it recovered to the full brightness. I guess the material inside must get distributed during shipping and it takes a while before it all equalises again.

Yep got them on the metal brackets. This was also pointed out in the shop as well, the ABS is very weak for hanging. The brackets don't really give the most secure hold, so long as I don't go hitting them with ladders or lengths of wood I should be fine.

It's nice not to hear these things buzz in the room above the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back