New Hob and Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to run through a couple of things re the electrics in our kitchen.

We currently have a free-standing electric cooker that we are replacing with a single electric oven and induction hob. I was wondering whether I could install the induction hob into the socket that the current cooker is using and then use a standard 13A plug socket for the single electric oven which I have nearby (and could potentially move to below the counter tops)?

Or would I have to get an electrician in to install a dedicated supply to the new oven?

Thanks in adavance.

R

Sponsored Links
If its a single oven suitable for a 13amp supply then you are ok.
Read manufactures instructions.
What is the loading for the oven, less than 3kw ok for 13amp plug.

It will depend on the output of your appliances and the manufacturers instruction.
Your current installation may need to be upgraded, so it can cope with any extra demand these two appliance need.
A good guide is if a moulded plugs come fitted with the appliance if they do can be plugged in, if they don't an electrician could well be needed.
If you post the output of the appliances more info can be given on your options.

Thanks guys,

The two items I'm looking to install are:

HBN331E0B Single multifunction oven - can't find much info in this a couple of websites say in neesds to be hard wired in and a couple say it comes with a plug. From what I understand most of these single electric ovens require a 13A socket but I guess unless it states it it is best not to assume!

The other is a Fagor IFF4R induction hob which I would hard wire into the existing socket which is a direct supply from the consumer unit with a 32A MCB.

Sponsored Links
Colour - Brushed Steel
Fan Oven - Yes
Functions - 4
Energy Rating - A
Dimensions (HxWxD) (mm) - 595 x 595 x 548
Standard Plug In - 13AMP Supply
Guarantee - 2 years parts and labour

=======

so an 5.6KW / 11.2KW induction hob?
1.4KW / 2.8KW per "ring"

so that's 47A - 49A worse case scenario if you have all 4 "rings" occupied and on "boost"..

your 32A may not be up to the job and I definitely wouldn't put the oven on as well..

as induction hobs are fairly new and operate differently to normal electric hobs, I'm unsure what diversity should be allowed ( if any )..

1.4KW / 2.8KW per "ring"

so that's 47A - 49A worse case scenario if you have all 4 "rings" occupied and on "boost"..

your 32A may not be up to the job and I definitely wouldn't put the oven on as well..

as induction hobs are fairly new and operate differently to normal electric hobs, I'm unsure what diversity should be allowed ( if any )..

It is not been stated that the oven is on the same circuit as the oven.

It says the 13amp socket is nearby

1.4KW / 2.8KW per "ring"
I have a similar hob (same manufacturer, different layout) and it will only let you use boost simultaneously on one of the zones on each side.

If you use boost, it drops the power of the other zone to the 50% setting.

So theoretically, the maximum power consumption could be 4 x 1.4KW (5.6KW) or 2 x 2.8KW + 2 x 0.7KW (7.0KW).

I wish the manufacturers would document this in the installation manuals - it really is ridiculous.

Anyway, if my theorising is correct, that's a safe load on a 32A supply.

wasn't saying it was.. merely pointing out my own personal opinion of not doing so..

my usual suggestion to changing from all in one cooker to a seperate hob and oven is to do this..

View media item 10929 View media item 10930 ,

but that is not advisable in this situation.

Hi Col,

Why not?

The hob max load is about 25A, the oven (assumed) max is less than 13A, so 38A without any diversity applied at all.

I don't think it would take to much working out to drop the design current for that circuit to less than 32A using a bit of diversity.

Anyhoo, in the unlikely event that you go from cold to everything full blast at the same time, how long will a 32A trip carry 38A for? Long enough to cook yr turkey i think ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back