New Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm putting in a new kitchen and replacing my old cooker with a gas hob (a Miele KM2010). I've put in an electric oven in another part of the kitchen, so not underneath the hob. I will be putting a kitchen unit where the cooker used to be then worktop above that and mounting the hob in the worktop, fairly standard I believe. There will be drawers below it.

The instructions for the hob give all the positioning details about minimum distances such as 50mm from the back wall, 100mm from the wall unit to the side etc, which is fine and that it needs a rigid connection which is fine. I have found a couple of local gas fitters near me, (Epsom area) on Check A Trade (have no other recommendations, so have had to look on there) who state they are Gas Safe Registered and will be getting one in to install the gas connection. I haven't spoken to them yet.

My question is, in order to minimise the amount of work that he/she has to do, what is the maximum amount of work I can do? For example can I fix the hob in the hole or will the fitter need to take it in and out; do they have to cut the hole themselves; do they need to check the correct distances etc?

The old cooker has a cooker hose into a bayonet fitting; I'll obviously take the cooker out, have to to get the new kitchen unit in, but is the fact that it has a bayonet fitting going to add significantly to the cost? I'm guessing that a rigid connection wouldn't connect to that? Will that mean changing the gas pipe? Not much I can do about it, but I'm trying to plan in terms of budgeting.

Also, and I realise it's how long is a piece of string and depends on lots of things, but for the minimum work that the fitter has to do how much roughly am I looking at? The ones I have chosen are local; no issues with either on or off street parking where I am. I know that they are the best people to ask, but it's nice to go in with an idea of a ball park figure.

Sponsored Links
If the bayonet is on 15 mm copper pipe then easy to deal with.

I like the hob to be in the hole but that does need enough space in the wood for the connection pipe.

I charge a rather loss leading price of £65 mostly to discourage DIY efforts.

A very important aspect is minimum heights of any cupboards above a hob.

Tony

Ok, so I need to make sure there is enough room at the back for the gas fitting then.

That doesn't seem too much.

There are no cupboards above it. There will be one to the side, but not for some 150-200mm laterally away from the hob; looking at the installation instructions that seems ok.

Thanks for your help.

Had to call in a gas fitter to connect up a range cooker in a kitchen I was installing (needed a hose connection) and I believe he charged the customer 90 quid.

Sponsored Links
£90 to connect a cooker hose seems excessive, though I guess it depends what else needed doing.

It's given me a range anyway.

Thanks everyone, I'll give them a call and see what the score is.

That probably included supplying the cooker hose!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back