New Home: radiators not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Moved into a new home about a week ago and (amongst other things) and have found that the radiators are only marginally heating up (luke warm after 2 hours at max setting and room stat at 25C
Have bled and re-bled all radiators which are all full open ...... hot water is working fine but takes a bit longer than I'm used to.... the led lockout light comes on when asking for hot water (not for CH strangely) until I switch the function dial to reset for a few seconds then its OK but CH is pityful.
Boiler is a Halstead Ace High combi looks less than 10 year old

Tried a quick google and pump, diaphram, thermistors, diverter valves have all been mentioned....not a heating engineer so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Danny

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the system pressure? It should be 1bar minimum

thanks for replying twgas ...sorry should have said original pressure was 1.5 bar after bleeding it fell to 1.25 bar so I let in some mains water through the Stainless flexy pipe...back up to 1.5 bar

Sponsored Links
the radiators are only marginally heating up (luke warm after 2 hours at max setting and room stat at 25C

Have bled and re-bled all radiators which are all full open
1. Is the heating temperature control on the boiler turned fully clockwise?

2. Can you feel a temperature difference between the heating flow and return pipes at the boiler.

3. Which valves are fully open on the rads?

just checked pipes from boiler and there is heat from them but only marginally hotter than the rads

heating temp control is turned fully clockwise on boiler and control knob feels as tho' its engaging

return pipe is slighlty cooler than flow pipe on boiler

all thermostat TRV's I think u call them on rads are full open double checked

A new home OR new home to you.
If its a NEW home try talking to the builder.
If its a new home to you do you have contact info for prev owners, contact them.

took off front cover and then next covering plate while boiler was isolated and rotary control on the boiler function was certainly turning into the PCB...then I stuck a screwdriver into the pump shaft as directed by the label to see if impellers were free to spin...was hard for me to diagnose without experiencebut I think I felt free movement...didn't want to force anything
..later fired up the boiler with cover off and couldn't hear or see the pump spinning...there is a what looks like a 20mm siver metal disc on the pump with a slot for a huge screwdriver and an arrow indicating direction of rotation....after 15mins of the CH on this didn't spin...not sure if it was supposed to

new home to me DIYisFun..built a century ago

I thought I had 7 days in which to lodge any complaints...7 days have now transpired but could be wrong on that

lol when I first glanced at your post DIYisFun I thought you said..'try talking to the boiler'

btw ..room stat looks like an old rotary dial Honeywell and clicks at 12/13C and again at about 15C...checked this without heating on

I thought I had 7 days in which to lodge any complaints...7 days have now transpired but could be wrong on that
I know that house purchase procedures are different on the north side of Hadrian's Wall, but I would have thought you are allowed to have a survey carried out on the condition of the house before committing yourself to the purchase. Or did you just rely on the Mortgage company's valuation survey?

I would definitely check if there is a seven day limit on complaints. It will be stated in the Contract.

we did get an independent survey done on it and nothing was mentioned in the report ..they were more concerned about the structural condition and electrics...which they pointed out tho working properly...they would recommend a re-wire...they obviously didn't check the CH or if they did not thoroughly enough.
We'll contact our solicitor with regard to any remedial action...in the meantime if anyone can help further.....thanks for all replies so far

heating temp control is turned fully clockwise on boiler and control knob feels as tho' its engaging

return pipe is slightly cooler than flow pipe on boiler

all thermostat TRV's I think u call them on rads are full open double checked
There should be a noticeable difference in temp (about 10C)

Does the boiler go on/off if you turn the boiler's heating stat up and down?

The setting of the TRV is not really relevant as the valve will be fully open if the room temperature is more than about 2C below the temperature represented by the number on the TRV.

It would be worth checking how far the second valve on each valve is open. Turn clockwise (looking down) and count number of turns until it stops. If more than one complete turn, the system has probably not been balanced.

just put the CH on so I'll monitor the boiler if boiler goes on/off

Sorry I was referring to the valves on the rads thought they were called TRV's the only other valve on each rad is the one without the 1-5 dial and hasa little screw cap...are these the ones you mean? I'll give that a shot with a screwdriver.

Thanks for your input D Halesham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back