New Hot Water Cylinder but no hot water.

A more technical answer would have been that the unpumped heated water from the heat exchanger in the boiler was lifted by thermal efficiency to the immersion tank upstairs directly above.
A bit old hat for a new build in 1978.
As a small benefit it also provided a little flow to the upstairs radiators.
Even in the summer when you didn't want it!

Sponsored Links
but a better solution would surely be to convert it to fully pumped.

my old mum had a gravity circ cylinder which was very slow to heat, and uneconomical in summer as it relied on the timer and boiler stat. converting it to pumped fixed both those.

it also shifted a lot of sediment out of the pipes and coil, which showed in the Magnaclean.

What kind off ballpark figure are you looking at for that kind of job?

But but but We did want it. The radiator in the bathroom acted as a heated towel rail and in the small bedroom the wife always had washing be aired on a clothes horse. The large radiators in the main bedrooms were turned off during the hotter months.

Thanks for your many replies - I appreciate you taking the time. The Boiler is a Johnson & Stanley Hi Spec J25 System E-T which also runs the heating via a slightly antiquated warm air system, but it does the job.

The plumber is usually very reliable/experienced and one we have used previously several times so I still find it all slightly strange. He said that there were new regulations introduced a few years back so they were not allowed to install a gravity tank?

Rightly or wrongly the tanks in there now - would a small pump pushing the hot water up to the tank work do you think / any suggestions, etc. I don't have a pool of money right now to do anything major unfortunately.

Will upload some pictures below as requested.
For gravity circulation the boiler pipework must be 28mm or even 35mm, and the old HW cylinder connections the same. That should have given the plumber a clue.

Sponsored Links
as a DIY, it was about a day.

I got a used pump of fleabay

and a cylinder stat

But but but We did want it. The radiator in the bathroom acted as a heated towel rail and in the small bedroom the wife always had washing be aired on a clothes horse. The large radiators in the main bedrooms were turned off during the hotter months.
OK, I just meant that if the weather's very hot so it's hard to get any sleep, the last thing you need is more heat upstairs.

With a warm air system there was not a lot of options. Its a long time since I was involved with warm air, but IIRC there is a separate burner for the hot water, so a pumped circuit on a separate timer should be available.
It's not that special cylinders are available for pumped systems, more that you can still get special cylinders for gravity systems. A fully pumped multi core coil will give greater recovery time.

With a warm air system there was not a lot of options. Its a long time since I was involved with warm air, but IIRC there is a separate burner for the hot water, so a pumped circuit on a separate timer should be available.
It's not that special cylinders are available for pumped systems, more that you can still get special cylinders for gravity systems. A fully pumped multi core coil will give greater recovery time.
OK
A fully pumped multi core coil will give greater recovery time.
Did you mean better ie shorter recovery time?

Thanks for your many replies - I appreciate you taking the time. The Boiler is a Johnson & Stanley Hi Spec J25 System E-T which also runs the heating via a slightly antiquated warm air system, but it does the job.

The plumber is usually very reliable/experienced and one we have used previously several times so I still find it all slightly strange. He said that there were new regulations introduced a few years back so they were not allowed to install a gravity tank?

Rightly or wrongly the tanks in there now - would a small pump pushing the hot water up to the tank work do you think / any suggestions, etc. I don't have a pool of money right now to do anything major unfortunately.

Will upload some pictures below as requested.
I remember seeing a warm air system with 22mm primary circuit pipes to the cylinder - somehow working on gravity/thermosyphon . :eek: Anyway can you measure those pipes coming out of the boiler - I can't decide if they are 28mm but I think 22.;)

OH dear, some of the pipes might be hidden, but looks like you have a Janus Circulator, it was origionally installed as a direct system and your installer has fitted it to an indirect cylinder, can you post a pic of the label on the cylinder, the following link shows the diffent way of installing the same unit, but you dont have an F&E connection on the coil , which you will need if it is an indirect cylinder, not needed if a direct cylinder

https://www.gotogasdocs.co.uk/f/m/J...Heating/Installation Instructions/JANUS 3.pdf

Thanks for the info Ianmcd - as I thought 3/4 BSP connections . OP needs to search for a F+E cistern . Janus - a pain in the .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back