New House Build

Yeah, that's fair enough. I'll mention it to him and see what he says. I've got a feeling he's going to suggest using the armour as the CPC to be honest with you.
As I've implied,that's quite possible. However, bear in mind that 'the customer is always right' and, as I said, there can be no harm (other than a slight increase in cost) in using 3-core - so if you would feel happier with that, tell him!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that's fair enough. I'll mention it to him and see what he says. I've got a feeling he's going to suggest using the armour as the CPC to be honest with you.
As I've implied,that's quite possible. However, bear in mind that 'the customer is always right' and, as I said, there can be no harm (other than a slight increase in cost) in using 3-core - so if you would feel happier with that, tell him!

Kind Regards, John
Yeah, I've had a chat with him and he's suggesting that if I want to save some cash, go for 2 core and use the armour as the CPC whereas if I'm not too worried about spending the extra money, get 3 core just for the extra reassurance. I've found 3 Core cable at a great price any way from the same retailer as I mentioned before ( www.quickbit.co.uk/swa-cable-3-core )

Yeah, I've had a chat with him and he's suggesting that if I want to save some cash, go for 2 core and use the armour as the CPC whereas if I'm not too worried about spending the extra money, get 3 core just for the extra reassurance. I've found 3 Core cable at a great price any way from the same retailer as I mentioned before (www.quickbit.co.uk/swa-cable-3-core)
Fair enough. In fact, wherever one gets it (and whatever one pays) there's usually not all that much difference between the price of 2-core and 3-core.

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, I've had a chat with him and he's suggesting that if I want to save some cash, go for 2 core and use the armour as the CPC whereas if I'm not too worried about spending the extra money, get 3 core just for the extra reassurance. I've found 3 Core cable at a great price any way from the same retailer as I mentioned before (www.quickbit.co.uk/swa-cable-3-core)
Fair enough. In fact, wherever one gets it (and whatever one pays) there's usually not all that much difference between the price of 2-core and 3-core.

Kind Regards, John
Yeah, to be honest, there's only a 30p difference. Not much point going for 2 core.

Sponsored Links
Any way, onto the question, just wondering whether I'm going to require a seperate earth cable when using 2 core SWA cable? For reference, I'm going to be powering 3 x outdoor lights in the garden, a pump for a water feature and a small hot tub. I've been informed that you can use the steel wire as an earth but I've read that it is not recommended and could make the surrounding area live if a malfunction occurs. Any information would be much appreciated as I'd rather avoid this for obvious reasons!
The armour can be used as the only CPC / earth in most situations.
If a separate CPC was required, it should be part of the same cable, not a separate item.
The armour must be connected to earth in all cases, although not necessarily at both ends of the cable.

As this is supplying a hot tub, exporting the earth from the main building will be inappropriate, and therefore a 2 core cable would be used.
The size depends on the load and length of the cable.

If you really want to save money, get rid of the hot tub. It will cost thousands of pounds both to install and operate.
Obtaining cable for a few pence less per meter will save nothing.

Any way, onto the question, just wondering whether I'm going to require a seperate earth cable when using 2 core SWA cable? For reference, I'm going to be powering 3 x outdoor lights in the garden, a pump for a water feature and a small hot tub. I've been informed that you can use the steel wire as an earth but I've read that it is not recommended and could make the surrounding area live if a malfunction occurs. Any information would be much appreciated as I'd rather avoid this for obvious reasons!
The armour can be used as the only CPC / earth in most situations.
If a separate CPC was required, it should be part of the same cable, not a separate item.
The armour must be connected to earth in all cases, although not necessarily at both ends of the cable.

As this is supplying a hot tub, exporting the earth from the main building will be inappropriate, and therefore a 2 core cable would be used.
The size depends on the load and length of the cable.

If you really want to save money, get rid of the hot tub. It will cost thousands of pounds both to install and operate.
Obtaining cable for a few pence less per meter will save nothing.
From this advice, decided to get the opinion of a different electrician and he basically recommended what you've just said. So I went ahead and bought some 10mm 3 Core, got it next day so I'll let you guys know how it all goes when it's installed.
For reference to any one who is doing a similar job to me, Quickbit are a great but unheard of online retailer for this sort of stuff. Cannot recommend them enough, especially for SWA Cable!

For reference to any one who is doing a similar job to me, Quickbit are a great but unheard of online retailer for this sort of stuff. Cannot recommend them enough, especially for SWA Cable!
To be honest, I am thinking this thread is just a veiled advertisement for the company as you live just 'down the road' after the outright advertisement was deleted.

To be honest, I am thinking this thread is just a veiled advertisement for the company as you live just 'down the road' after the outright advertisement was deleted.
I'm based in North Wales, that's quite a wide area. They may not be far away but they aren't 'just down the road'. They're actually around 50 miles away. It must have just been at the top of my Google search purely because I live roughly close to them.

is just a veiled advertisement for the company as you live just 'down the road'
You could be right, bit worrying if the staff have to ask on a forum which of their products is most suitable.

There are places that sell SWA even cheaper.....often imported and very poor quality.

Funny how I ask a few questions for advice to get sarcastic replys and comments! Cheers for the Help "EFLImpudence" Huge help!

Funny how I ask a few questions for advice to get sarcastic replys and comments! Cheers for the Help "EFLImpudence" Huge help!
I apologise if this is not the case.

However, there was an advertisement posted for this company just the other day.

The company is in Clwyd.
You are in Clwyd and joined yesterday and extol the virtues of this, I presume, new company. It may be very good.

Coincidences do happen.
Call me cynical and/or suspicious or logical if you want but my post was not sarcastic.
I find your retort somewhat odd.

I apologise if this is not the case.

However, there was an advertisement posted for this company just the other day.

The company is in Clwyd.
You are in Clwyd and joined yesterday and extol the virtues of this, I presume, new company. It may be very good.

Coincidences do happen.
Call me cynical and/or suspicious or logical if you want but my post was not sarcastic.
I find your retort somewhat odd.
This is purely coincidence. I've only used this wholesaler once because it came up on a Google search. I've only used this company once and the reason I've been posting these links is due to the fact that I'm being cautious on prices and the quality of the products.
Looking back, it does look like an advert. Shall phone them up and ask for commission. :p

This is purely coincidence. I've only used this wholesaler once because it came up on a Google search. I've only used this company once and the reason I've been posting these links is due to the fact that I'm being cautious on prices and the quality of the products.
If you've only used them once, I'm a little surprised you have been speaking so positively about them - is it not possible that their prices are low because they are selling 'cheap and nasty', maybe sub-standard, imports from dodgy places?

Kind Regards, John

I've just dug up two ends of an SWA cable I buried in a 2" grave back in 2009. The armour was fine, not a single sign of corrosion. The copper cores when I stripped it back for re-jointing however was another story! I also found where I'd tried to punch through the cable elsewhere with a spade, and didn't succeed! I've furthermore seen damages armour sheath on damp walls that have obviously been there years with no signs of decay.

My conclusion is that armour is pretty well galvanised and protected itself by the sheath, and I'm happy to use it as a CPC.

Regarding the use of cpc plus 'extra' cpc, the magnitising effects of the armouring, versus copper, mean you can't just add them together for calculation. It should be calculated as if the 3rd core alone exists in the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back