New House - Electrics opinion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping some of you experts can tell me your opinions on the condition of the electrics in the new house (1935 it was built) i'm hoping to buy. Heres some piccys...

21072006008lp1.jpg

21072006009ku7.jpg

21072006010vy3.jpg

21072006011it5.jpg

21072006012tf8.jpg

21072006013ll7.jpg

21072006014wd4.jpg

21072006016qo6.jpg

Here's a pic of the back of a socket.

As you can see the wiring is "fairly" new as its flat grey pvc cable, however the fuse box looks very dated. And the feed below the fuse box looks pretty old wrapped in fabric or something by the looks of it.

Any advise or opinions would be a big help.

Thanks a lot,

Paul

Sponsored Links
It all wants redoing. At least 30 years old, could be over 40.

There is a considerable chance that bits will crack or come apart when you touch them. I can't see a grommet in that socket box, which means eh sharp metal edges can chafe through the plastic insulation.

I can't quite make out those old henley blocks, they might have T&E going into them which is very strange.

JohnD said:
It all wants redoing. At least 30 years old, could be over 40.

All of it?! really? :rolleyes:

The sockets are mainly installed on the walls just above the big skirting boards if that helps shed anymore light on the situation!

Yes, really. Sorry.

Also the main earth (which is probably undersized) looks as if it might be fastened to the cable sheath or that iron service head. This is one of the first things to put right. Ask around friends and neighbours for a recommended qualified local electrician who likes doing domestic rewires and ask him what self-certification scheme he is a member of (if he isn't, find another).

edit: I was wrong about the socket box, I think it's a plastic one, that doesn't need a grommet.

Sponsored Links
You need to get a PIR done on the house.
If it does need a rewire, you will need to inform Building Control.
There are 2 ways to go about this.
Option 1 - employ a spark who is a member of the Part P schemes. He/she will notify BC of the job.
Option 2 - get the work done by a spark who is not in a scheme, but this will involve you notifying BC (and will be a bit more expensive).

John, there is no compunction for anybody to use a Part P registered spark. Every customer has the right to choose. However, there is the extra cost to consider.

JohnD said:
Yes, really. Sorry.

Also the main earth (which is probably undersized) looks as if it might be fastened to the cable sheath or that iron service head. This is one of the first things to put right. Ask around friends and neighbours for a recommended qualified local electrician who likes doing domestic rewires and ask him what self-certification scheme he is a member of (if he isn't, find another).

edit: I was wrong about the socket box, I think it's a plastic one, that doesn't need a grommet.

thanks for all the info, yes they are all plastic newish white sockets/switches.

Is it possible that the wires might be ok? But obviously it needs a new fusebox with RCD etc.

Flat PVC cable has been around for more than 40 years. Those Brown Wylex fuse boxes were replaced by Cream ones in the early 1970's and I expect your wiring is equally old (some parts of it may even date back to the 1930's)

I can see the earth cable in your socket is sleeved in Green. I think Green was replaced by Green & Yellow about 30 years ago.

There will be effort and cost in testing and rectifying your old wiring.

You will probably want a lot more sockets than are currently installed

The lighting circuits have probably not got an earth so you will not be able to have any metal light switches or fittings or spotlights.

Although costs are never welcome, a rewire before you move into a house is an ideal time, since the dust, noise and mess will not matter and you will probably be planning to redecorate.

as Newsparkpaul says, a periodic inspection report by a qualified electrician will tell you more but I think I know what the recommendation will be for an installation of that age.

Just getting a new consumer unit can be a false economy and inspire false confidence in your installation.

If you go for a rewire you can have all your sockets, switches, lights, etc exactly where you want them (and as many as you want). You can be sure there are not multiple lashed-together junction boxes stashed under the floor. All those unterminated live cable ends that invariably thrive under floorboards will be gone. You can be sure your cable rating is adequate given that your home is likely to be both more thermally insulated and more electrically loaded than when it was last rewired. You can be confident that your home is properly earthed and bonded and that all protective devices will operate correctly. You have a far, far better chance of not appearing on the fire brigade's annual statistics. And it's one fewer obstacle when you come to sell on.

To put it into perspective a total rewire will probably cost less than many people are prepared to pay for a bathroom and less than half the cost of a bespoke kitchen.

after looking at the photos, I wouldn't suggest a PIR (what's the point in paying someone to tell you need a rewire; when you almost certainly need one)

Depending on where you live (and how easy the house is to rewire) will determine the cost.

USE A REGISTERED electrician, as it will make things simpler and should give you a better degree of comeback.

To fit an RCD to wiring that age is asking for trouble (nuicance tripping), it probably would fail the tests anyway, better to get everything done before you move in and start with a new slate.

That way you can get all the extras you want incorporated- BT points; alarm; TV points; network points etc

Ditto the full re-wire. You said "a house I'm hoping to buy". Add the re-wire to the list of defects and haggle the house price down. I would try and get £5k off the asking price for the re-wire (Barbados here I come :D ) but I would settle on about 3K (back to Bognor :cry: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back