updating house electrics

Dear Brigham

Please don't post anything else until you have taken some PICTURES and put them on here for us to see.

Other discussion is pointless until we know what you really have there.

Sponsored Links
I am wondering if there is another fuse box somewhere, possibly the old Wylex.

There shouldn't be an electric shower or immersion on a socket circuit, so maybe the 'power' circuit is feeding a sub main (another fuse box).

You need to find out more or send pictures.

Right, I seam to have opened a can of worms for myself. All is not as it should be. I have owned this bungalow for 2 years and there has not been a problem with the electrics but I thought they could do with updating. Now from your responses I'm sure they do.

I will not be able to take any pictures for another two weeks, but all you will be able to see is an old Wylex wired fuse box and next to it another plastic box with 3 MCB.

I think my first priority is to get some quotes from reputable tradesmen and get the present wiring checked out to see what state it's in.

Thank you all for your patence and your efforts to inform me.

I will not be able to take any pictures for another two weeks, but all you will be able to see is an old Wylex wired fuse box and next to it another plastic box with 3 MCB.

Sure, but its how they are arranged and what interconnecting cables that may reveal a lot more.

Do let us know what your sparkies come up with..

Sponsored Links
It may be quite good.

Are all the fuses/MCBs labelled?

What ratings in A (amps) are on each fuse/MCB?

Does switching off the old Wylex do anything?

By turning things off you should be able to find out a fair bit.

Since you intend to get an electrician, hopefully he will pinpoint exactly what you have and what you need.

I have owned this bungalow for 2 years and there has not been a problem with the electrics.
I've owned my car for 9 years, and in all that time I've never had the opportunity to find out the hard way that there's something wrong with the seatbelts or airbags....

once again, thank you all for your advice and observations. I will come back in a couple of weeks and let you know what I find out. As you can tell I know very little about electric wiring and what is required and am now not sure about what circuits there realy are and what they do . but I will find out and seak further advice and opinions before doing anything.

Chears all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back