No downstair lights and can find No consumer unit!

Hooray! The top one 'killed' the cooker!
I will switch off the big one, open it and take a photo, i will have to turn off computer so give me 5 mins.
you lot are brilliant!!

Sponsored Links
Breeze

Not fair to increase bid when you suspect I am right.

Just cough the two quid now and let's have done with it!

:LOL:

fusesinmeter.jpg

The bottom fuse has 5 amp on it and the wire is broken! the top one also say's 5 amp but the wire is intact.
I will go down the shops and buy some 5 amp fuse wire and 'fix' it.
I am soooo happy!
Thank you all so much for your help.
xxxx

Sponsored Links
definatly worth considdering a replacement consumer unit

:LOL:

I now have full electrics!
A very big thank you to all.
I was so stressed out about it this morning, I thought I would need the whole house rewired and a circiut box put in ect...

I will put a replacement consumer unit on my 'need to get' list!
The heating is first though! (I have a Corgi registered guy doing it, so I need no advice on that!!!!)
I now know where to get advice when I need it.
Cheers

i have heared of a house without a CU

someone on one of theese forums found the following

meter-helnly-6mm T&E-plastic jacobs buiscuit tin upstairs with all cuircuits connected to it

I've just read through this topic and I have to say it's a much more pleasant experience all round when the advisee is so enthusiastically grateful for the help - unlike some of the curmudgeons who ask for help, then try and twist the answers to sound like endorsements of their original intentions!

It's cheered me right up!

Oh My God!

That looks like a very old installation indeed - that type of fuse box went out of use years ago, you should get your wiring checked by a professional electrician asap.

The service fuse looks in very poor condition, with separate parts, instead of one sealed unit, as in modern installations.

The fuse box was serviced in 1990 by norweb.
The wiring is supposed to be sound, that's what they said when we bought the house 3 years ago!
Will get it checked out as soon as funds allow!

It is better than a bisciut tin don't you think?

kai said:
Oh My God!

That looks like a very old installation indeed - that type of fuse box went out of use years ago...

Yeah, but I'd say 30% of the installations I see are just the same. Mostly they check out fine and if the circuits are okay, with the right sized fuses and earthing and bonding in place they are just as safe as twenty-year old installations with Wylex fuseboards.

where are you?
might even be living next door to one of the people on here lol!

only thing i can see that sticks out is bonding..cant see a block- probs a TT?

also no rcd

those are the biggies but no telling what is in the wiring

would probrably only need a CU and bonding

supersparks said:
where are you?
West Midlands...

supersparks said:
might even be living next door to one of the people on here lol!
...which is as good a reason as any to not be any more specific!!! :D

Round here I regularly see 'council' rewires under ten years old, which consist of one ring circuit, one cooker circuit and one lighting circuit protected by a Wylex rewireable three-way fuseboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back