g24q-1 bulbs keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently bought a lamp on ebay. When i plugged it in downstairs it worked fine. But when i later plugged it in my sons bedroom the bulb blew. I bought another g24q-1 bulb, it cost me £6 which is almost what i paid for the lamp! I plugged it in downstairs, again it was fine, but in the same socket upstairs it also blew!

The socket im using has always had my sons old lamp plugged into it with no problems, however the bulb in that one was a regular bulb and not some fancy energy saving one.

Once in a while we do get new bulbs blow when we switch them on but not that often and we'd always assumed it was due to cheap bulbs.

Also, an electrician has told us 2 things which I dont understand, but he said they could be causing bulbs to blow:
1)there are over 20 light fittings connected to each of the lighting curcuits
2)the ground floor ring curcuit has either 2 ring and 1 radial curcuit or 1 ring and 3 radial curcuits connected into 1 MCB within the consumer unit.

Can anyone shed any light? Is it a dodgy lamp or is my house wiring amiss?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
how did it "blow"?

low energy lamps normally dont just "blow".

Its probably a faulty fitting. To fire up a low energy lamp requires starting circuitry or device, which is normally quite bulky. This circuitry can fail. Can you show us a picture of the fitting? The gubbins may be replaceable.

By the way, a quick google revealed

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/product/1633/pl-c-low-energy-10w-840-cool-white-g24q-1-4-pin/

@ £3.85 each. ;)

http://www.lampco.co.uk/results.asp?method=browsecat&type=Energy+Saver&capcat=4+Pin

@ £2.96 each.

I bet you went to B&Q, didnt you? :cool:

Hi Steve

The first time it just went "pop" when i switched it on, the second time it worked for a couple of minutes and then popped.

As for price, dont forget to add the cost of postage onto the bulbs you suggest! :LOL: I bought mine from my local diy shop.

Sorry to sound like a dumb-ass but by 'fitting' do you mean the bit of the lamp that the bulb goes into?

Sponsored Links
What went pop? Sorry if it sounds daft. The fitting is the whole thing - the light, with shade, arm etc.

This is my lamp, it takes a similar type of bulb to yours. Can you see its base? Just above the base is a black vented box, this is what strikes the bulb up. It is down there because it is heavy and the lamp would topple over if it were next to the bulb (electrically ideal). Does your fitting resemble this in any way? The equipment in there (commonly known as a "ballast") can go faulty.

By the way, mine was less than £20 and if it started blowing bulbs I'd buy a new one. ;)

Just a thought, the original bulb you took out, what wattage was it? And the new one? And what rating is the fitting itself?

Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay but my 2 year old has tonsilitus plus i have a baby so dont get much free time these days :rolleyes:

It seemed to be the bulb that went pop but the bulb is right next to the base box. It has a shade right around it so its safe for kids.

The lamp only cost me a fiver!

The wattage of all bulbs that have been used is 10w, not sure what you mean by rating, could be 220-240v?

Buy a new one. ;) There must be something wrong with the base and at £6 a bulb and £5 a fitting, I know which I'd replace. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back