New house front door draft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got a new build house and the draft around the front door is pretty bad. So far I’ve fitted a draught strip at the bottom and siliconed the outside and inside around the door where there were any gaps.

Still can feel a draught and noticed in the gap on the side you can see daylight. It’s coming from 3 small gaps under in the door frame. I have attached a picture.. I’m guessing these are for drainage? Question is can I seal these up...

Attachments

• 4326A12C-FDF0-4523-AA07-34D9ECD0E4B0.jpeg
    4326A12C-FDF0-4523-AA07-34D9ECD0E4B0.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 492
Sponsored Links
Assuming that that picture is showing the bottom of the door and not the top then those holes are drainage holes. They should have little covers over the outside that point the openings down and assuming that is the inside of the door you shouldn't be able to see daylight through the holes. Whilst all my UPVC doors have drainage holes they do not open to the inside of the house.You cannot seal those up if they are for drainage.

Why on earth don't you get the "builders" back to sort it out?

Definelty dont seal them up as you have a wheelchair threshold and they are the water drain holes, you may not have caps outside as pete50 says , as some drain from the base into the cill.
When the door is closed , can you see daylight still, if so it needs adjusting. If not , the silliest question in the world here, but assuming it's multipoint locking , which from that pic i think it will be, then are you actually pulling the handle up and engaging all the locking points ? You need to do this as that is the only point full compression will be had. If you don't your door is not actually completely closed top or bottom and a draught is possible , along with , in time , potential warping of the door ( through thermal expansion , top and bottom of door can expand and contract in heat but centre of door will stay stationary due to nightlatch.. best practice , always pull the handle up and engage the full locking)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back