new house no paperwork

IANAL, but I don't think you would need to prove intent.

If the seller lies (no matter what his motive) and you say that you would not have gone ahead if you had known the truth then that's it.

Sponsored Links
IANAL, but I don't think you would need to prove intent. If the seller lies (no matter what his motive) and you say that you would not have gone ahead if you had known the truth then that's it.
One might possibly get civil damages on that basis (although quantifying the exact alleged 'loss', if any, would be far from straightforward). However, you were talking about fraud, a criminal offence, and I don't think that one should be convicted of that unless a court could be convinced that you made the incorrect statement with the intent of thereby obtaining a pecuniary gain.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Fair point.
I think it's similar to the reason that so many people are prosecuted for 'taking and driving away' vehicles. A successful prosecution for the more serious offence of 'vehicle theft' requires a court to be satisfied that the perpetrator had an intent to 'permanently deprive the owner' of the vehicle - often difficult to prove (except in the case of 'professional' car thieves, if one can demonstrate that they have sold the stolen vehicles) and, in the case of many of the youngsters who nick cars, often not even true!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back