Testing House...

Sponsored Links
When I called my local council and asked if I was able to carry out a PIR (not being registered with any scheme) they said I would not be able to do this as I'd need to be Part P registered to be able to issue the certificate

Please, understand this. A PIR is a Periodic Inspection REPORT.

It is a record of the findings from the inspection and testing of an existing installation.

A CERTIFICATE is something that is produced as the result of new installation or alteration works.

Not the same thing. Chalk and cheese.

Why are such people allowed on these courses in the first place? Surely there should be some kind of selection process before the course to exclude such people.

i think they use natural selection those that do it properly and those that get electrocuted! :LOL: :LOL:

we spent 7 weeks trying to teach basic maths to the idiots who couldn't get it
Why are such people allowed on these courses in the first place? Surely there should be some kind of selection process before the course to exclude such people.
I think if I was on a course which was being significantly derailed by people unable to cope with it I'd be kicking up a huge fuss...

Sponsored Links
When I called my local council and asked if I was able to carry out a PIR (not being registered with any scheme) they said I would not be able to do this as I'd need to be Part P registered to be able to issue the certificate

This has nothing to do with the Council and has nothing to do with Part P.

A Periodic Inspection Report is soley between the electrician and the person requesting the report. Between them they agree the extent of the PIR - it may be limited to specific circuits or the whole of the installation - its up to them and them alone.

That means that anyone can carry out a PIR. :eek:

However, whether a PIR carried out by someone without the necessary knowledge has any value is open to speculation and possibly challenge.
Maybe the situation was the council asking a householder whose electrician had been abducted by aliens just at the point where he was about to issue the EIC to provide a PIR instead, or it was one of those councils who insist up front that DIYers arrange for a PIR.

Whatever it was it involved the issue of who the council considered competent to provide a PIR of value, otherwise why ask? And as per your final point, a PIR carried out by someone without the necessary knowledge might not be worth the paper it's scribbled on, and it's not at all unreasonable for the council to "sub-contract" the process of establishing whether the electrician has the necessary knowledge to the Competent Person scheme organisers.

That means that anyone can carry out a PIR.
Yup. No requirement anywhere for a C&G I&T qualification, but if the council had said that they would only accept PIRs from electricians with 2390 or 2391, would you still object?

we spent 7 weeks trying to teach basic maths to the idiots who couldn't get it
I think if I was on a course which was being significantly derailed by people unable to cope with it I'd be kicking up a huge fuss...

Unfortunately, most are used to this state of affairs; it's how so many state schools operate, in the politically mistaken belief that everybody is somehow 'equal' whatever that word means. If you limit college places to the literate and numerate you will exclude an enormous proportion of applicants.

I very much doubt, Bas, that you could find any trade-based classes that would not frustrate you; biased, as they are, to people engaged in trades, as opposed to prospective engineers.

[/quote]

What experience do you have? I am not trying to raise a debate but I am surprised that someone who considers themselves experienced would raise such a question.

Sorry just got back to your post. What I meant was I have had experience in carrying out inspection and testing with and without my tradesman but now that I am self employed I ain't to sure about all the paperwork and the like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back