Testing House...

W

walkman

Qualified Electrican and just been asked to test a house for someone whos moving into a new house. He's wanting the house tested as it is pretty old. Am I able to do this or would he have to get a company in to do it? What I mean by this is for paperwork etc. he's not stated yet if he wants the paperwork etc or just wants to know if it the electrics in the house are ok.

Sponsored Links
If you're competant then you can carry out inspection and testing then issue a Periodic Inspection Report which details your findings.

Have you got experience in this area?

Qualified Electrican
What do you mean by that?

Am I able to do this
I don't see how anybody can know that except you...

What I mean by this is for paperwork etc. he's not stated yet if he wants the paperwork etc or just wants to know if it the electrics in the house are ok.
You should find out what he wants you to to.

any idiot can fill in the paperwork.. there's no requirement to be qualified at all ( as long as you know how to do it of course ).. it just holds more weight if you're qualified, and more still if you're a member of a scheme or recongnised body

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for replys. Yeah I am experienced in testing just wanted to make sure I could fill out the test sheet by myself as somebody seemed to think a registered company would have to sign it off. I have just passed my electrical fica test after a 4 year apprenticeship for the poster that asked. Equivelant to the Am2 I think it's called in England. Anyway thanks for your help.

Yeah I am experienced in testing

What experience do you have? I am not trying to raise a debate but I am surprised that someone who considers themselves experienced would raise such a question.

just wanted to make sure I could fill out the test sheet by myself as somebody seemed to think a registered company would have to sign it off.

Whom?

I have just passed my electrical fica test after a 4 year apprenticeship for the poster that asked. Equivelant to the Am2 I think it's called in England.

So what training have you had in inspection & testing?

Qualified Electrican and just been asked to test a house for someone whos moving into a new house. He's wanting the house tested as it is pretty old. Am I able to do this or would he have to get a company in to do it? What I mean by this is for paperwork etc. he's not stated yet if he wants the paperwork etc or just wants to know if it the electrics in the house are ok.

This would be a Periodic Inspection and as such is a contract between you and the person who is asking for the inspection to be completed. You can photocopy the PIR forms in Guidance Note 3 or BS7671 17th edition.

You should agree with the homeowner the extent of the installation to be inspected and record same on the PIR. Depending on the size of the property and the number of circuits you should allow a minimum of 4 hours to properly complete this inspection.

Before you begin you should check to see whether there any previous PIR's, EIC's and diagrams of the current installation. At the end, for your own protection, you should give a copy of the PIR to the homeowner and keep a copy for your records.

You should have properly calibrated tester(s) suitable to the job in hand. and be confident enough to be able to complete all the tests required and more importantly interpret the results.

Those of use who are registered with a competent persons scheme are generally required to have C&G 2381 & 2391 (17th edition) and have Public Liability insurance of £2m and Personal Liability insurance of £250k.

You should really have in your possession a copy of BS7671 (17th edition) and Guidance Note 3 and understand their meaning.

While we're on it...

Testing is a doddle, yet most electricians simply cannot do it. Twenty pages in the on-site guide tells you all you need to know - that and an understanding of what the results indicate.

What is far more important, however, is the inspection process and completion of the inspection schedule. This is 90% or more of the job and the test results really just complement the inspection schedule.

I would go so far as to say that almost no electrician actually understands the meaning of many of the boxes they so readily tick or dismiss as inapplicable. (I've certainly never met one.)

Testing we can teach in a week, inspection takes a working lifetime, so be careful before you assume you possess all the knowledge and experience to carry out PIRs. Having just completed an apprenticeship you would be a rare beast indeed if you were really up to this task.

This is not intended as a put-down, rather a reality check. Get yourself a copy of this:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9780953105885

... and read it again and again and again.

i actually agree with the poster above..
while doing the I&T course, we spent 7 weeks trying to teach basic maths to the idiots who couldn't get it as well as being read through the regs..
then 2 weeks in the workshop with 20 of us trying to play at testing on the 6 test rigs..
then we missed a week for half term and took the exam ( supposed to be a 10 week course )..
not once was the paperwork discussed in detail or what each box meant etc.. we are supposed to have gleaned that info from the power point regs drivel..

since getting the qualification I have yet to do a full I&T anywhere, all we did at the factory was test IR and R1+R2 the circuits on the machines and fill in the results on the sheets.

When I called my local council and asked if I was able to carry out a PIR (not being registered with any scheme) they said I would not be able to do this as I'd need to be Part P registered to be able to issue the certificate

When I called my local council and asked if I was able to carry out a PIR (not being registered with any scheme) they said I would not be able to do this as I'd need to be Part P registered to be able to issue the certificate

This has nothing to do with the Council and has nothing to do with Part P.

A Periodic Inspection Report is soley between the electrician and the person requesting the report. Between them they agree the extent of the PIR - it may be limited to specific circuits or the whole of the installation - its up to them and them alone.

That means that anyone can carry out a PIR. :eek:

However, whether a PIR carried out by someone without the necessary knowledge has any value is open to speculation and possibly challenge.

we spent 7 weeks trying to teach basic maths to the idiots who couldn't get it
Why are such people allowed on these courses in the first place? Surely there should be some kind of selection process before the course to exclude such people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back