New Houses don't have air bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed that a whole lot of new builds in my area don't have the standard air bricks you would expect on houses.

They have these small "weep holes" all around the house.

Assuming the houses have a cavity (ie two layers of brick), how can the sub floor solum be getting proper ventilation - even with the weep holes surely the amount of fresh air in the cavity would be minimal.

If someone knows the reason for this (links to diagrams would be great) and would be happy to spare 10 minutes of their time typing in an explanation, I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
If they are around DPC level, it's probably a timber framed house.
They are put in as a dual purpose to drain and vent the cavity. Sometimes put in on a normal cavity wall.

Others more knowlegeable may correct me, but most new builds now have either a solid concrete ground floor or 'beam and block' floors. Solid floors have a hardcore sub base, then a membrane is laid to prevent damp, onto which concrete is poured and levelled. Screed is laid to provide finished floor surface. Beam and block, concrete beams are laid, blocks used to fill the gaps and then the whole lot is screeded over.

Older properties with suspended wooden floors require ventilation to prevent dry rot taking hold. A solid concrete floor doesnt have a void underneath, beam and block is concrete so damp is not an issue.

Sponsored Links
I think, not sure, that beam & block floors should also be vented but not necessarily to the same degree or for the same reason.

I think, not sure, that beam & block floors should also be vented but not necessarily to the same degree or for the same reason.
You are correct. If there's a gas leak under the floor, or gases building up from waste in the ground or condensation forming on the bottom and going up.

Those weep hole are not venting, they are draining the cavity - there must be a cavity tray on that course, or if they are below the DPC then that is the level of the concrete fill in the cavity. Normally a weep hole every 900mm (4 bricks)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back