New Kitchen...Asbestos Risks?

They were from B&Q. This was the guy they sent me. I only know him by his first name. The fact that he has guessed is the reason why I'm still anxious. I'm based in Cornwall, by the way.

Now, Brigadier...in your post from Monday at 7:13 pm, when you described the boxed area in the corner, on the external walls, about 8" squared...it was like you were describing the corner of my kitchen without seeing it. If it wasn't for your pointer, I wouldn't have considered this area - so thanks.

Now, since my last post, I have been able to inspect the area in more detail. I strained my neck in the process, but I can confirm that the boxed section doesn't extend below the worktop. All that is below the worktop is one big pipe - which is the waste pipe from the toilet.

So that means I'm only dealing with the top section - as there is nothing below. The only other things I could see were the bare walls, pipes and lots of dust/cobwebs etc.

Adjacent to my cupboards, there is a piece of wood which covers this boxed area. It isn't tiled underneath and the wood doesn't actually touch the boxed area. I had a look under there with my torch and can see the material is light grey/white in colour. It certainly isn't wood - which means it's either plasterboard...or insulation board. As for the visible section, it's well guarded with tiles so not any risk in it's current state.

My neighbour told me earlier that someone else on my road had their kitchen done and were advised that there was a panel of asbestos roughly in the same area - although she thought it was under the worktop and behind the sink.

P.S...it does seem a bit strange that asbestos would be used for this boxed area as the pipe beneath it doesn't need any heat protection. I'm trying to think this through logically but at the same time remain open minded. Although I can't ignore the fact that if these are the only asbestos panels in the kitchen...it does seem a bit odd that they have been implemented here as I don't see the benefit.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheap and rot-proof building board, heat protection isn't the sole reason for using it.

I also notice from your previous posts that you have had asbestos insulating board removed from your house, so that would give your house "previous".

The b and q surveyor is primarily out for the sale, and not to let facts get in the way of that, would be my guess.

A kitchen surveyor qualified to survey for asbestos, B&Q whatever will they think of next. I used to work for an ARC and the advice Brigadier has given is about as good as it gets, no BS from him here

I had a full asbestos house survery done (including sample testing), i was probably over worried from all the warnings, but they made holes and tested all the ceilings walls, pipes and anything else that would be a possible, they found it in the soil stack, the soffits and the pad under the sink, but everything else was clear. It calmed my worries and allowed me to get on with the refurbishment of the house with a lot less worry. worth the cost in the end! although im still careful

Sponsored Links
No one spotted my obvious **** taking with that picture then :mrgreen:

Asbestos is in the air we breath chaps. In small quantities. The odds of you finding brown or blue asbestos in a residential property are slim to none. White is really not much of a hazard at all. If you worked in the stuff day in day out for a few months maybe you might develop something in 30 years. The demographic of this forum though (mostly old ****ers), and the probability of that happening is probably less likely than death by falling potplant or the grim reaper himself. Maybe in the roof of flats perhaps where there are plant/boiler rooms. I realise I'll get flack for this but what the hell

Well, the surveyor has just left and has given the kitchen the go ahead.

He wasn't at all concerned about the floor tiles and advised me that the boxed section in the corner of the kitchen would be 'plywood or plasterboard'. My kitchen definitely isn't the original kitchen and he has also advised me that the boxed section in the corner can be worked around. The tiles will need to come off but apart from that it's all been given the go ahead.

Now, I know the surveyor does what he does and knows a lot more about kitchens than I do, why do I still not feel completely convinced that there is nothing to worry about here?

I don't know whether I am being over cautious and worrying too much - and I think that over thinking all of this has now lead me to not knowing what is the right or wrong thing to do :S

.gif

Well, the picture made me chuckle anyway! And I agree: A little caution before tearing into unknown material with a saw might be in order, but I do think the fuss has created a certain amount of paranoia regarding asbestos (and muddied the waters between the different types, as you say). The same sort of thing seems to have happened with lead-based paint.

I've booked an asbestos survey so will have a quote through tomorrow and will then be able to start the process. I'm really quite frustrated today as a lot of people who I've talked to this about seem to have lost their minds. Most of them, if not all, have said "Oh, you worry about asbestos too much", "A lot of people wouldn't think twice" etc etc. Made me really quite angry at how irresponsible some people can be! :mad: I'm treating this with the respect it deserves and if I have to pay a lot of money then so be it. At least I know it's safe after the professionals remove it (if it turns out to be asbestos). I'm 90% certain that it is insulation board. I tried to take photos but the gap is about half an inch and I can't get the camera to focus on the area that it needs to be on.

The odds of you finding brown or blue asbestos in a residential property are slim to none.

I really do mean this when I say sorry but,...are you serious??? I had samples tested in my living room (behind the fireplace and in the roof of an old warm air circulation system) which turned out to be brown asbestos. I have it on documents 'amosite'.

I really wish you were right on this one as it would save me a lot of worry but this stuff scares the $h1t out of me, it really does.

The odds of you finding brown or blue asbestos in a residential property are slim to none.

I really do mean this when I say sorry but,...are you serious??? I had samples tested in my living room (behind the fireplace and in the roof of an old warm air circulation system) which turned out to be brown asbestos. I have it on documents 'amosite'.

I really wish you were right on this one as it would save me a lot of worry but this stuff scares the $h1t out of me, it really does.

Fair enough about the amosite but this would be a typical location you'd find such a thing so why are you worrying about it in relation to a change of kitchen units? You posted asking about replacing a kitchen, in that scenario use a bit of common sense and apply it. How exploratory do you need to be in fitting a new kitchen??

Sponsored Links
Back