New Kitchen(changing a single unit cooker to a oven and hob)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need some help with my Kitchen

I am refub a kichen and i have made several changes

The last change i wanted to make is the old electrica lcooker unit.

This unit is connected direct from the Consumer Unit Board via a 32 amp breaker and a 4mm cable that comes underground direct to the place where the hob + oven will be placed

For being a single unit this was connected to a cooker controler via a 4mm cable(single cable)

I am replacing that unit for a samsung hob that out put 7.5kw and a single oven that output 3.6 kw

I will be using a 40A cooker controller and the distance between the cooker controller and the location where the cables will be coming out from the wall for the oven+ hob is an L shape measuring 600mm and 500m each leg

I wanted to know if i can use a 40mm cable for the oven and a 60mm cable for the hob and if i can connect these BOTH cablesto this cooker controller

Please let me know if any further info is required

Sponsored Links
I recently had our kitchen refurbed and the oven and hob were wired seperately back to the consumer unit with the size cables you described. This is obviously dependant on the length of cable. Mine was about 15m.
You will need a seperate local isolator for each unit.

I wanted to know if i can use a 40mm cable for the oven and a 60mm cable for the hob and if i can connect these BOTH cables to this cooker controller
You mean 4mm² and 6mm²

You can use 4mm² for both as long as you don't change the 32A mcb.

You can do as you say but it would be better if you fitted a Cooker Connector Unit behind the oven and permanently connected this to the Cooker Control Switch (in the L shape you mention). Then connect the two cables to the oven and hob.

Sponsored Links
I wanted to know if i can use a 40mm cable for the oven and a 60mm cable for the hob and if i can connect these BOTH cables to this cooker controller
You mean 4mm² and 6mm²

You can use 4mm² for both as long as you don't change the 32A mcb.

You can do as you say but it would be better if you fitted a Cooker Connector Unit behind the oven and permanently connected this to the Cooker Control Switch (in the L shape you mention). Then connect the two cables to the oven and hob.

knowing the the MCB is 32 A does it matter me getting a Cooker Connection Unit 45A?

thanks

knowing the the MCB is 32 A does it matter me getting a Cooker Connection Unit 45A?

No, that's how much current it can handle (as long as it's more than 32A).

Just one more thing....if the appliance(hob) output 7.5 kw, this is around 18A

will a 4mm2 cable be able to handle that? should not be better to use a 6mm2 cable for the hob and the 4mm2 cable to the oven

I'm having a 5.1kw double oven & 7kw Hob in my new kitchen. They are being installed about 1metre apart. I'm running a new 6mm2 cable to a 45A switch and then using a "Dual cooker outlet" to spit the feed. Not sure if you could do the same?

You will need a seperate local isolator for each unit.
Not necessary if oven and hob are in the same place.
Try getting that past the latest test regs.

There's nothing wrong with EFL's proposal, but what's the number of that reg?
The regs I was on about are the part P which he will not have to worry about until something happens where he does.
I am a retired elect and we have just had a kitchen refit. I was not allowed (Wife) on pain of death to do the elect work. The elect that came round required a 4mm and a 6mm for the hob and oven and fitted the isolators at the back of the cupboard next to the oven, more accessible tha behind the oven. This always depends on the length of run. Just as a rough conversion 3kw = 12.8A

The regs I was on about are the part P
34245971.jpg

:confused:

The elect that came round .. fitted the isolators at the back of the cupboard next to the oven, more accessible tha behind the oven.
Indeed - more accessible than behind the oven.

Which in turn would have been more accessible than next-door's understairs cupboard.

But so what? Do you think that at the back of a cupboard is accessible? I don't.

The regs I was on about are the part P which he will not have to worry about until something happens where he does.
You do not have to worry about part P of the Building Regulations. It merely states that electrical work has to be carried out so that it is safe.
I am a retired elect and we have just had a kitchen refit. I was not allowed (Wife) on pain of death to do the elect work.
I wonder why.
The elect that came round required a 4mm and a 6mm for the hob and oven
1 x 6mm² would probably have sufficed but, if not, why not 1 x 10mm²? but that was his choice. Did you not discuss it with him?
and fitted the isolators at the back of the cupboard next to the oven, more accessible tha behind the oven
They should not be behind the oven. They should be visible and easily accessible in an emergency.
This always depends on the length of run.
What does?
Just as a rough conversion 3kw = 12.8A
5kW = 21.7A - What is your point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back