New Kitchen & extractor height.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Fitting a kitchen for a customer and it's come (as per their spec) with an internal/filtered extract fan (no exterior venting) for above the electric hob. It's a stainless job with boxing to go above it but to say the diagram is poor is an understatement. :rolleyes:
From what I can gather it says fit a minimum of 650mm from worktop to underside of extractor, does this sound about right? What distance do you generally leave?
It's a while since I fitted one and usually the instructions are ok. Tried ringing the helpline given on the instructions/paperwork but no answer. :rolleyes:

Cheers folks.

Sponsored Links
I fitted mine 650 from the worktop and to be fair i think its a little low but i couldn't go higher, i have a carport ringbeam on the external wall so that governed the height of the extractor inside, if i ducted sideways i could of but didn't want any duct on the wall units

EDIT; Mine was a designair 60 from B&Q by the way, wish i hadn't of bothered, noisy as hell, built in light is next to useless and theres no filters in the box, B&Q don't stock them because they are no longer available, just a shame they don't tell you that when your buying it :mad:

650 is the recommended. We always find this to be a little low. If there's going to be tiles try and finish it on a full tile to save cuts good excuse to go a tad higher. What make is it?

Fit it so you do not crack your head every time you check a pan. I find that works every time. :D

Sponsored Links
650 is the recommended. We always find this to be a little low. If there's going to be tiles try and finish it on a full tile to save cuts good excuse to go a tad higher. What make is it?

Oddly I think it's a designair, probably similar to the one crank mentioned, though I don't remember the model number (it's a customer supplied B & Q kitchen).
I'll stretch it to around 700mm then? Shouldn't be a problem as they are mosiac tiles so pretty flexible on height in that respect.

Kitchen hoods have to extract to exterior they are no longer allowed to be left in recirculation mode, but applies to new builds etc , though would recommend you suggest this to customer as recirculation is pointless.

If the customer has supplied a cooker splashback for the kitchen, then the height of the hood will probably be set by this (usually 750mm from worktop). If not and it's being tiled, then work out how many full tiles to a height somewhere between 650mm -750mm and set it at that height. Personally, I think I'd be tempted to tile up first then set the hood on top of the top row of tiles. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back