Cooker hood 'legal' height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the middle of kitchen refit - attached is a photo of how we'd like the kitchen, specifically with a neat line of wall units rather than the traditional gap for an ugly extractor fan.

We have most kitchen designers telling us we need 650mm minimum for an induction hob, whilst one or two say it's just a guideline and are happy to supply the kitchen as in the photo.

Our gap would be approx 490mm so quote a bit under.

We haven't cooked with an extraction fan for the last 8 years (ours broke) and growing up we never had one so I'm not massively bothered but what other issues will be run into if we fit this low? Building regs, fitting etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
This low makes it inconvenient. Unless you don't cook and it's a show kitchen. Anything that is open to interpretation will result in an opinion against you when there is profit to be had. The surveyor may advise the buyer it's bad when you come to sell.

Not sure what you normally cook. The water vapour from cooking will assist mould growth.

I would think the instructions for the induction hob should override anything the fitter or kitchen designer says. I too have never bothered with using the extractor fan, even though it's there, and have never had any issues either but it seems a bit weird to me from a cooking practicality point of view. That hot air/steam/oily vapour will want to spread along underneath the cabinets rather than rising out of the way, which can't be good for the cabinets.

That hot air spread will want to spread along underneath the cabinets rather than rising out of the way, which can't be good for the cabinets.

It's not just the damage to units, the moisture will spread through the rest of the house.

I have a system which constantly logs (amongst other things) the indoor temperatures and humidity. Even with the hood running, it sees a rise in humidy in the house generally. Without the hood, it is much higher.

Sponsored Links
It's not just the damage to units, the moisture will spread through the rest of the house.

I have a system which constantly logs (amongst other things) the indoor temperatures and humidity. Even with the hood running, it sees a rise in humidy in the house generally. Without the hood, it is much higher.
Our home has been up since 1980 without kitchen or bathroom extractors, it's been fine.

Maybe not ideal or optimal but it's fine. Humidity is around 50-60% usually.

Our home has been up since 1980 without kitchen or bathroom extractors, it's been fine.
I once work at a place where the toilet extractor fan was broken. It became a major disaster after lunch.

I guess you need to ask the manufacturer what minimum height they are willing to guarantee.

Your extractor would be inconveniently low.
I've tested in showrooms which are all 46-49cm and it feels Ok to me at 6ft. Granted I haven't cooked a roast in there but it doesn't feel awkward.

Maybe another trip is needed....

I've tested in showrooms which are all 46-49cm and it feels Ok to me at 6ft. Granted I haven't cooked a roast in there but it doesn't feel awkward.

With respect, I think the roasting should take place in an oven... :)

Did you stir the porage on the back ring while cooking sausage on the front? Could you look into your deep pan? And lift it on and off?

Your extractor would be inconveniently low.

A part of the reason for the minimum height, is to ensure the air being drawn up, is cooked adequately. The air will be a mix of the what rises from the hob, and the room air - the larger the gap, the more room air, the cooler it will be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back