New kitchen worktop needs a join in centre of breakfast bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a major extension on the back of the house 5 years ago, at that time we had a quality kitchen fitted with granite worktops, to cut a long story short we have never been happy with the size of the kitchen so we are knocking through into a shower room to enlarge the kitchen, we are able to re-use many of the base units and doors which is good because they are oak and still a current range, the only issue we have is the granite, we cannot justify the expense of replacing it with more granite and most of what is there will be no good for the new layout (it was star galaxy black and a pain to keep it sparkling) so we have decided to opt for a laminate. The worry we have is that we will have a breakfast bar of approx 1200mm wide x 1800mm length so it will need joining, probably straight down the middle. The kitchen guy has told me that if we choose the colour carefully and opt for something patterned with darker flecks in it, the joint will be almost invisible. Just wondered if anyone with some expertise can confirm that this is the case and also recommend the best type of work top to go for? Any feedback and ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Do you not have any laminate suppliers near you? I had a table made up, attached to the wall at one end and on a leg at the other. It has a rolled edge on both sides and a bow-end. The laminate suppliers did it all and there are no joins. 24 :oops: years later and it still looks good. It was Formica.

There are lots of laminate suppliers, unfortunately it would appear that the maximum width available is 900mm which is not very helpful when I need 1200mm x 1600mm approx :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thats very interesting, after posting this I recalled in my last house I had a similar kitchen and I was sure I had a 1200mm breakfast bar there, upon digging a little on the net, I found a few suppliers, none of them were the ones you linked me to so thanks for the link, now I know that at least one headache is solved as I really didn't fancy having a join running the length of my breakfast bar :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back