New Kitchen

Bru

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into my first home, which needs a fair bit of doing up.

We have ripped out the old kitchen but the walls are badly patched and uneven in places.

We also want to get rid of the cooker hood (electric) move the cooker switch and add a double plug socket.

Should we do this first by hiring a electrician, then get in a plasterer - or if it possible to find one person to do the whole lot. And roughly how much will it cost? (roughly 5 metres of wall from floor to cieling)

Sorry for sounding naive, we're new to this. Help

Sponsored Links
An electrician will come to do the first fix (run cables where he needs them and fix metal backboxes), then the plasterer will plaster over everything. The electrician will then come back to do the second fix, which involves chipping plaster out of the backboxes he fitted, making good the cables and fitting the plastic or metal accessories of your choice.

Of course, you have to co-ordinate all this! But the electrician may do everything at once, and leave the socket fronts loose for you to fasten up afterwards.

You may well find an electrician who will also be able to wield a float, however you will probably find that the finish you get will not be as good as a plasterer. If you are planning on tiling over the area or when the cupboards are fitted you don't see much of it, you may well get away with the 1 tradesperson if you can find an accommodating one.
With regards to cost, please read Forum rule 9

Regards

Sponsored Links
As per MarkBarl - work out where/if you're going to have tiles as you don't need that 'perfect' finish on an area that's going to get tiled.

If you have a friend who's a sparky or have a good relationship with your electrician they may be willing to let you assist with the first fix (recessing boxes etc.) but I would only consider this if you are 1) reasonably competent and 2) have the necessary tools!

Having just finished (literally last night!) my kitchen in my first house one tool you may want to pick up is a surform - but don't ever use it on wood! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back