New kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
A newbie here and a pretty much virgin to the world of diy.

We moved into the property about 10 years ago and now are in the process of having a new kitchen installed next month.

I started moving all the base units myself 1 by 1 so i could do any repairing needed on the wall as I suspected there may be one or two mice holes, everything was normal i blocked couple of holes with mortar i also put steel wool before blocking them off, untill i got the wall behind the sink. Whole plastering was damp/soaking with water passing through the the gap between worktop and the wall, so no surprise there i thought i just get the whole plastering off and put new plastering, now when i got the plater board off i could see there is a half a brick/ concrete block missing. Wall is only about 15 years old and there's no crumbling, first I thought it could be just bad workmanship, i thiught i would just put a brick in there myself, than on closer inspection i could see that the brick was originally there but than some part of it was broken and taken out, i would say around one third was missing, i put my hand in the cavity on one side there in insulation on the other side there's none. No insulation either below foundation level and my surprise the insulation, when i put my hand up are all wet.
Now this has left with a couple of mysteries:
A) why the wet insulation?
Probable cause water from sink penetrating through mortar on the inside wall???
B) why would some one took half a brick out of the wall?

Should i just carry on with my repair work, put a bit of insulation and repair the wall or get some one to see why it is the way it is?
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 229
Sponsored Links
If you wish to DIY this or more fully understand what might be happening then I'm willing to take you through the learning process but it will involve you giving it a bit of time, more posts & more pics?

Welcome to the site Anish.

------------------------
Rubbish deleted
Warning points applied.
Mod
-------------------------

Hope you sort your house problems.

Have a good Christmas : )

Last edited by a moderator:
The floor and wall look wet. I think you have a long-term plumbing leak.

Does the wet smell soapy?

Have you got a water meter?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply guys.
Guy who installed the worktop last time didn't do a very good job.
So yes,5 years of water sipping through the joints. Having removed some of the tiles from around the sink area we now know why the insulation in the cavity was wet. It was the water leaking through the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back