Bathroom refurb, 1930s bungalow

ah, a salt-glazed clay pipe in the ground. I thought it would be. It would have been made with a socket in the end, and a spigot can be inserted into it and sealed with mortar or rope. The collar of the socket is often damaged and broken. Clay has no give in it so any movement of the ground or house will crack it. The brickwork in that corner looks damp and stained.

You can get a UPVC adaptor that will go into it. Nowadays you can use a diamond disc to make a clean cut in a broken end, but I have never used one. I have used an adaptor socket with sticky mortar made with waterproof bonding agent.

Once you have a UPVC socket well-fixed and firmly set, it is easy to use UPVC parts to run to the place you need.

If you have a manhole nearby, it might be preferable to run a new pipe.

I see. I think it is sold concrete slab, there are dwarf walls in each room to support the floor.

that's good, you can build a honeycomb dwarf wall to support the joists. If you can jack them up a little, you can then lower them until perfectly level while the mortar is soft.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I only understood about 1/3 of that!

Is your suggestion that I remove all the mortar, then after making a clean cut in the clay pipe, putting in a plastic socket, that can then be linked up with various other plastic soil pipe fittings to reach the toilet location? What is a spigot, and what does it do?

Yes, I think the mound of mortar is concealing a cobbled-together and leaking connection, and you would do better to grind or chip it away, see what's underneath, and make a better connection.

These salt-glazed clay pipes and their traps and gullies are constantly cropping up as cracked, broken or leaking. Usually outside a house.

Post the pic on "plumbing and CH" section for some other opinions.
https://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/plumbing/

A "spigot" includes the pipe that sticks out of the back or underside of a WC pan, intended to push into a socket on a soil pipe.

Sponsored Links
pan with spigot

Attachments

• 11042alconaCCWC_(1)[1].pdf
    231.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 10928e100 standard roundCCWC.pdf
    315.1 KB · Views: 112

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back