New laminate/carpet on landing. I don't want a threshold do i need one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My neighbour has the same landing as me.

neighbour
IMG_9483.JPEG
I wish to position my laminate right to the edge of the lip. If i do this can the carpet start underneath the bull nose or would that look odd?

Any tips i'd be grateful as the carpenter is going to start laying the laminate tomorrow and he mentioned it to me today. We'd also need to somehow place a beading at the end of it - but as it will likely be a high traffic area this would need to be strong and he also mentioned if not done correctly could chip the laminate right at the front.... as that is where the pressure footing will be.

IMG_9481.JPEG IMG_9482.JPEG

Sponsored Links
I’d do it the same as your neighbours. Just won’t look right in the way you suggest. Only my personal opinion of course.

I would try and remove the tongue do a hard wood edge at the top of the stairs. This could be screwed into the top stair after removing the rounded edge at the correct height.

As long as it all lines up and flush it should be ok.

Your neighbours looks like a trip hazard to me

Who ever did that in your neighbours needs shooting. Looks terrible.

a few ways is to use a quickstep incizo trim and nosing system

a solid oak nosings and stain it and take the carpet up the riser under the bullnose.

do the riser in laminate as well.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all. I'll investigate. I went into a local carpet shop today and they really didn't have a clue. Which I found strange!

just a note. The laminate is 12mm and the fiber board is 7mm so 19mm in total.
Which might change things a little.
the laminate is also grey.

Could you provide a link to a suitable-ish solution please?

Something like this on the landing, then carpet down stairs

as an aside
if the hard edge off the laminate will be exposed at all by compressed carpet in use then you risk chipping and wear in what is the weakest bit off the laminate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back