What do I need under laminate flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need a little advise...

I am looking to lay laminate flooring in a room that is 3m x 4m but am curious what is required as underlay.

The floor has a concrete base followed by DPM, then a 50mm thick XtraTherm layer then Greenback (moisture resistant) Chipboard.

I would like to keep the underlay as minimal as possible as I have noticed that the space between the floor and the external door that I have put in is very small (6mm when the door is closed) which is currently too small for the laminate flooring (8mm), I believe that I can raise the door a little using hinge adjustments but I wouldn't think by much as I know it can effect the locks. I have heard someone mention 3mm thick foam underlay (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100847) and if I can raise the door by 6mm would this be suitable?

I have noted that the floor slopes down away from the door as I can fit a piece of 12.5mm plasterboard under part of the door when it is open. I was thinking of putting some tough coir matting down (the type you wipe your feet on) under the door instead of the wood flooring just in front of the door to solve this issue and prevent a slippery area when the entrance area gets wet through foot traffic and then surround that with the Aqua Loc flooring with Bevel around the edging.

Unfortunately the flooring is down to stay otherwise I would probably reduce the thickness of the XtraTherm and the door has been sealed in too. :(

Any suggestions/comments/advise are very welcome.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back