New Lawn - Mowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my new lawn laid two weeks ago. The grass is still mostly green and looks good on top. In total the length has probably increased by an inch.

A few roots seem to be going through the turf into the sub soil.

I'm just wondering:

1) When to mow the lawn for the first time.
2) Is one inch of growth a good sign that the lawn is strengthening
3) What should I be expecting in 2 weeks and when can the lawn have some use?

At the moment, I only walk across to the other side, when watering. I have been watering everyday (other than when it’s raining).

Sponsored Links
If the roots are growing through then you can mow it. 30mm is about the average height for most types so if it has grown that much on top of the 20-30mm it was supplied with then it needs mowing now. Never cut more than a third off in one go, and for the first cut just take a cm off, then give it a few days and cut again. Repeat until it is brought down to the desired height. Keep an eye on it between cuts to make sure it doesn't react badly. When mowing the general rule is cut little cut often... and make sure if the mower has a blade that it is sharp so it cuts rather than hacks at the grass.

I turfed my lawn at the end of February and gave it the first cut after about three weeks when it was starting to root through evenly. Then every week since. The frosty conditions for the first week slowed it down, but if it was laid mid-March then it would probably have been ready a week sooner. The last few weeks have been particularly mild down here in Devon.

When the lawn will be ready for use depends on what type of lawn you have laid. If it is a general purpose one it could probably take light traffic after a month and be ready for kids playing football by the summer. Sooner if the top soil and conditions are right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back