New lawn slowly dying off - is it waterlogged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I got my garden done in July. The landscaper did a whole bunch of hard and soft landscaping and removed the old lawn and part of the existing soil, then install some new soil and the new turf, which was of really nice quality.

The landscaper did a very good job in the garden, to a very high standard.

However... the lawn was installed on the second week of July (this year), and about 5 - 6 weeks back, I noticed that part of the lawn, located at the very end of the garden, was getting some bald spots. The lawn in that area has been increasingly disappearing and the spots have been getting bigger and bigger. The affected area has also grown in size. And now I seem to be getting the same smaller bald spots in some other places too.

The area in which is worst affected doesn't get a lot of sun light this time of the year as it is overshadowed by the fence, shed, etc.

I contacted the landscaper a few weeks back and sent him a few pictures. He acknowledged that this should not be happening and said that the lawn looked waterlogged and that I should not not water and wait a bit while too see if it established.TBH, I had not been watering the lawn by that time as it had rooted properly already and rain was doing the trick for me.

As the problem has actually worsen, I'm looking to contact him again. However, I'd like to know if anyone here agrees with his opinion and also if you can tell me how I remedy the problem and make sure it doesn't get even worse. I just made an investment to make my garden look nicer and I want to ensure things continue to look good for the years to come.

Photos attached. Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks,
Hector.

Attachments

• lawn3.jpeg
    lawn3.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 221
  • lawn2.jpeg
    lawn2.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 653
  • lawn1.jpeg
    lawn1.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 244
Sponsored Links
I'd agree that it looks waterlogged, but what was the drainage like before the garden was done.

I suspect the garden will need some drainage channels dug, and possibly a soakaway created deeper down if you can't get into the surface drainage system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back